Chair and Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
College of Pharmacy
University of Nebraska Medical Center
986125 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6125
Lab DRC II, Room 6028
Our laboratory in the College of Pharmacy has expertise in molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, biophysics, polymer chemistry, colloid science, pharmaceutics, and medicine. This allows us to take a multidisciplinary approach for successful research and training students and post-doctoral fellows. Our research is focused on the following areas: (i) Micelle and Nanoparticulate Drug Delivery, (ii) Oligonucleotides, siRNA, miRNA and Gene Delivery (iii) Synthesis of Novel Polymers, Lipopeptides, Lipopolymers and Cationic Lipids (iv) Construction of Plasmid and Adenovirus-based Gene and shRNA Expression Systems. These systems are being tested in various disease areas such as improving islet transplantation to treat type 1 diabetes, cancer (pancreatic and prostate) and liver fibrosis.
We attempt to understand how the individual components of delivery and expression systems would influence the disease state by controlling gene regulation, transcription, translation and replication. In addition to using stem cells as gene delivery vehicle for inducing immune tolerance in diabetes and fibrosis, we are also working to overcome multi drug resistance in tumors by targeting cancer stem cells.
- Michael Danquah M, Fujiwara T and Mahato RI (2012) Lactic acid- and carbonate-based crosslinked polymeric micelles for drug delivery. J Polymer Sci: Polymer Chem 51: 347-362.
- Mundra V, Danquah M, Li W, Miller DD and Mahato RI (2012) Formulation and characterization of polyester/polycarbonate nanoparticles for delivery of a novel microtubule destabilizing agent. Pharm Res29: 3064-74.
- Pratap A, Singh S, Mundra V, Yang N, Panakanti R, Eason1 JD and Mahato RI (2012) Attenuation of early liver fibrosis by pharmacological inhibition of smoothened receptor signaling. J Drug Target 20: 770-782.
- Danquah M, Duke III CB, Patil R, Miller DD and Mahato RI (2012) Combination Therapy of Antiandrogen and XIAP Inhibitor for Treating Advanced Prostate Cancer. Pharm Res 29: 2079–2091.
- Singh S, Chitkara D, Mehrazin R, Behrman SW, Robert W. Wake RW and Mahato RI (2012) Chemoresistance in Prostate Cancer Cells Is Regulated by miRNAs and Hedgehog Pathway. PLoS ONE 7(6): e40021.
- Wu H, Yoon AR, Li F, Yun CO and Mahato RI (2011) RGD peptide-modified adenovirus expressing hepatocyte growth factor and X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis improves islet transplantation. J. Gene Med. 13: 658–669.
- Li F, Danquah Mm, Singh S, Wu H and Mahato RI (2011) Paclitaxel- and lapatinib-loaded lipopolymer micelles overcome multidrug resistance in prostate cancer. Drug Deliv. Transl. Res. 1: 420–428
- Pratap A, Panakanti R, Yang N, Lakshmi R, Modanlou KA, Eason JD and Mahato RI (2011) Cyclopamine attenuates acute warm ischemia reperfusion injury in cholestatic rat liver: Hope for marginal livers. Mol Pharm 8: 958–968.
- Wu H, Lu W and Mahato RI (2011) Mesenchymal Stem Cells as a Gene Delivery Vehicle for Successful Islet Transplantation. Pharm Res 28: 2098-2109.
- Lu W, Li F and Mahato RI (2011) Poly(ethylene glycol)-Block-Poly(2-methyl-2-benzoxycarbonylpropylene Carbonate) Micelles for Rapamycin Delivery: In Vitro Characterization and Biodistribution. J Pharm Sci 100: 2418-2429.