Chair and Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
College of Pharmacy
University of Nebraska Medical Center
986125 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6125
Lab DRC II, Room 6028
Our laboratory in the College of Pharmacy has expertise in pharmaceutics and drug delivery, molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, polymer chemistry, colloid science, and medicine. This allows us to take a multidisciplinary approach for successful research and training students and post-doctoral fellows. Our research is focused on the following areas: (i) Micelle and Nanoparticulate Drug Delivery, (ii) Oligonucleotides, siRNA, miRNA and Gene Delivery (iii) Synthesis of Novel Polymers, Lipopeptides, Lipopolymers and Cationic Lipids, (iv) Construction of Gene and shRNA Expression Systems, and (v) Design and synthesis new compounds to overcome chemoresistance and inhibit hedgehog signaling pathway. These systems are being tested in the following disease areas: Cancer (pancreatic, prostate, melanoma and medulloblastoma), nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and liver fibrosis, and type 1 diabetes.
We attempt to understand how the individual components of delivery and expression systems would influence the disease state. Our goal is to determine the effects of treatment upon tumor vascular permeability and drug deposition, and the molecular mechanisms involved when tumor blood vessels or tumor stroma are disturbed during therapy. We optimize the therapeutic index of antitumor drugs and decrease their toxicity to normal tissues by adding functionalities for molecular recognition of the target tissue or stimuli-responsive release of the payload at the disease site. We are also working to overcome multi drug resistance in tumors by targeting cancer stem cells.
- Kumar V, Chaudhary AK, Dong Y, Zhong HA, Mondal G, Lin F, Kumar V, Mahato RI (2017) Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of novel hedgehog inhibitors for treating pancreatic cancer. Sci Rep. 7: 1665.
- Wen D, Peng Y, Lin F, Singh RK, Mahato RI (2017) Micellar delivery of miR-34a modulator rubone and paclitaxel in resistant prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 77: 3244-3254.
- Yang R, Mondal G, Ness RA, Arnst K, Mundra V, Miller DD, Li W, Mahato RI (2017) Polymer conjugate of a microtubule destabilizer inhibits lung metastatic melanoma. J Control Release. 249: 32-41.
- Kattel K, Mondal G, Lin F, Kumar V, Mahato RI (2017) Biodistribution of self-assembling polymer-gemcitabine conjugate after systemic administration into orthotopic pancreatic tumor bearing mice. Mol Pharm. 14: 1365-1372.
- Wen D, Peng Y, Liu D, Weizmann Y, Mahato RI (2016) Mesenchymal stem cell and derived exosome as small RNA carrier and Immunomodulator to improve islet transplantation. J Control Release. 238:166-175.
- Kumar V, Mondal G, Dutta R, Mahato RI (2016) Co-delivery of small molecule hedgehog inhibitor and miRNA for treating liver fibrosis. 76: 144-56..
- Kattel K, Evande R, Tan C, Mondal G, Grem JL, Mahato RI (2015) Impact of CYP2C19 polymorphism on the pharmacokinetics of nelfinavir in patients with pancreatic cancer. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 80: 267-75.
- Mundra V, Peng Y, Rana S, Natarajan A, Mahato RI (2015) Micellar formulation of indocyanine green for phototherapy of melanoma. J Control Release. 220(Pt A): 130-140.
- Mittal A, Chitkara D, Behrman SW, Mahato RI (2014). Efficacy of gemcitabine conjugated and miRNA-205 complexed micelles for treatment of advanced pancreatic cancer. Biomaterials. 35: 7077-87.
- Wu H, Wen D, Mahato RI (2013) Third-party mesenchymal stem cells improved human islet transplantation in a humanized diabetic mouse model. Mol Ther. 21:1778-86.