Research Associate Professor
Co-Director, the UNMC Nanoimaging Core Facility
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
College of Pharmacy
University of Nebraska Medical Center
986025 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6025
402-559-2753 (Core Facility)
Dr. Shlyakhtenko's main research interest is the study structure, dynamics and interactions of various biomolecular systems by the use of Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) as an imaging tool. Development of immobilization approaches and surface chemistry is required for successful use of AFM. One of the most promising approaches utilizes silatrane surface chemistry. This approach allows studying the structures of different protein/DNA complexes, unusual DNA and RNA structures, the structures of proteins, macromolecular ensembles, and different types of carriers for drug delivery.
- Shlyakhtenko, L. S., Lushnikov, A. J., Li, M., Harris, R. S. & Lyubchenko, Y. L. (2014). Interaction of APOBEC3A with DNA assessed by atomic force microscopy. PloS one 9, e99354.
- Lyubchenko, Y. L., Gall, A. A. & Shlyakhtenko, L. S. (2014). Visualization of DNA and protein-DNA complexes with atomic force microscopy. Methods in molecular biology 1117, 367-84.
- Shlyakhtenko, L. S., Dutta, S., Banga, J., Li, M., Harris, R. S., Lyubchenko, Y. L. (2015). APOBEC3G Interacts with ssDNA by Two Modes: AFM Studies. Nature Scientific Reports: 5, 15648-60.
- Seamon, K. J., Sun, Z., Shlyakhtenko, L. S., Lyubchenko, Y. L., Stivers, J. T. (2015). SAMHD1 is a single-stranded nucleic acid binding protein with no active site-associated nuclease activity. Nucleic Acids Research: 43, 6486-99.
- Lyubchenko, Y. L., Shlyakhtenko, L. S. (2015). Chromatin imaging with time-lapse atomic force microscopy. Methods Molecular Biology. 1288, 27-42.
- Sharma, F., Haque, F., Pi, L.S. Shlyakhtenko, P. Guo. (2016). Controllable Self-Assembly of RNA Dendrimers. Nanomedicine-NBM, 12, 835-844.
- Lyubchenko, Y. L. & Shlyakhtenko, L. S. (2016). Atomic Force Microscopy Imaging and Probing of Amyloid Nanoaggregates. In Handbook of Clinical Nanomedicine: From Bench to Bedside (Bawa, R., Audette, G. & Rubinstein, I., ed.), Vol., pp. 1500 . Pan Stanford Publishing, Singapore.
- Shlyakhtenko, L. S., Dutta, S., Li, M., Harris, R. S., Lyubchenko, Y. L. (2016). Single-Molecule Force Spectroscopy of APOBEC3A-ssDNA Complexes. Biochemistry,
- Lyubchenko, Y.L., Shlyakhtenko, L.S. (2016) Imaging of DNA and Protein-DNA complexes with Atomic Force Microscopy. Critical Reviews in Eukaryotic Gene Expression, 26(1): 63-96.
- Hui Li, Kaiming Zhang, Fengmei Pi, Sijin Guo, Luda Shlyakhtenko, Wah Chiu, Dan Shu, and Peixuan Guo. (2016) Controllable Self-Assembly of RNA Tetrahedrons with Precise Shape and Size for Cancer Targeting. Advanced Materials, 6 (0), 1-6.