The 2018-19 season of Intramural Broomball at UNMC is complete. Congratulations to our new champions!
Check back in August 2019 for information regarding the 2019-20 season!
|League||Schedule||Sign Up||Game Start Times|
- Tuesdays | 5 - 8:00 pm
- Early: 5 - 6:30 pm
- Late: 6:30 - 8:00 pm
- 5v5 | Co-Rec (Teams must be Co-Rec with 5+ players, at least 2 women)
Broomball is a team-based winter sport that is played on ice. It is very similar to hockey in its rules and formations, but it also incorporates some elements and strategies of soccer. Similar to hockey and soccer, the object of the game is to score more goals than the opposing team. To do this, players use a "broom" (a wooden shaft with a rubber-molded, triangular head).
Two of the most obvious differences between broomball and hockey are that broomball players wear shoes instead of skates and broomball is played with a 6-inch ball (like a miniature soccer ball) instead of a puck. In this league, games are contested by 2 teams of 5 players (4 field + 1 goalie) and consist of two 12-minute halves separated by a short halftime break.
You read that correctly! Although Broomball is played on the ice, participants play in their regular footwear. Whether you're wearing your tennis shoes or winter boots, you're good to go.
No Experience Necessary
Never played before? You're not alone! There are always plenty of new players with absolutely no prior experience, so newcomers are always made to feel welcome. If you're brave enough to sign up and give it a shot, then all you need to do is show up dressed for the weather and we'll teach you everything that you need to know.
All Equipment Provided
Each player will be given a helmet and stick to use during the game. To make things easier, team's should coordinate with each other to choose helmets and sticks that are the same color before the start of each game.
Early & Late Leagues
To make scheduling more convenient for teams, Broomball will be split into Early & Late divisions. All games during the course of the season & playoffs will be played during the specified time frame.
- Early: All games in divisions labeled "Early" will begin at either 5:00, 5:30, or 6:00 pm.
- Late: All games in divisions labeled "Late" will begin at either 6:30, 7:00, or 7:30 pm.
How Do I Sign Up?
All league participants must register through EZLeagues. Participants will not be asked to create an account or password. Simply fill out the relevant information and click submit.
- Create your team through EZLeagues.
- Tell your teammates to register for your team through EZLeagues.
- They should select the option that reads "I am registering for a Team"
- *Each player has to complete his/her own registration.
- Pay the registration fee at the front desk of the UNMC Center for Healthy Living by the registration deadline.
- Cash, credit, or personal check accepted
- Any team that pays the registration fee after the registration deadline must pay an additional $15 late fee.
If you encounter any issues, please direct any questions to the Intramural Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to the Center for Healthy Living front desk.
Who may participate?
- Registration for Intramural Broomball is open to UNMC/Nebraska Medicine staff, faculty, students volunteers, retirees, and the spouse/parents/children (aged 18 or older) of someone who belongs to any of the previously mentioned groups.
- In addition, individuals who don't belong to any of the previously mentioned groups may participate. The number of non-UNMC/Nebraska Medicine individuals allowed on a team is subject to sport-specific limitations.
- In this case, Broomball teams may only have 2 non-UNMC/Nebraska Medicine individuals.
You may direct questions to the Campus Recreation Coordinator (email@example.com) or to the front desk at the Center for Healthy Living (402-559-5254).