The 2018-19 season of Intramural Curling at UNMC is complete. Congratulations to our new champions!
Check back in August 2019 for information regarding the 2019-20 season!
|League||Schedule||Sign Up||Start Times|
- Wednesdays & Thursdays
- Early: 5 - 6:30 pm
- Late: 6:30 - 8:00 pm
- 4v4 | Co-Rec Open
Although many Omahans have seen Curling in some capacity, few have had the opportunity to try it out themselves. Played with 40-pound granite stones and special brooms, Curling is quite possibly the most unique recreational activity offered at UNMC. Once a week, student and employee teams face off for 30-minute games at the university's own ice rink in the middle of campus.
In curling, teams slide heavy stones from one side of the rink, called the hack, across the ice toward a scoring area at the opposite side, called the house. Each round, or end, players take turns delivering their stones by pushing them from the hack. As each stone travels across the ice, teammates may influence the path and speed of the stone by sweeping the ice just in front of it. Once both teams have thrown all 4 of their stones, scoring may be determined for that end. In this league, games are made up of 4 ends and generally last 20 - 30 minutes.
You read that correctly! Although Curling is played on the ice, participants play in their regular footwear. Whether you're wearing your tennis shoes or winter boots, you're good to go.
No Experience Necessary
Never played before? You're not alone! There are always plenty of new players with absolutely no prior experience, so newcomers are always made to feel welcome. If you're brave enough to sign up and give it a shot, then all you need to do is show up dressed for the weather and we'll teach you everything that you need to know.
All Equipment Provided
Each player will be given brooms to use during the game. Teams need only dress for the weather.
Early & Late LeaguesTo make scheduling more convenient for teams, the Curling leagues will be split into Early & Late divisions. All games during the course of the season & playoffs will be played during the specified time frame.
- Early: All games in divisions labeled "Early" will begin at either 5:00, 5:30, or 6:00 pm.
- Late: All games in divisions labeled "Late" will begin at either 6:30, 7:00, or 7:30 pm.
How Do I Sign Up?
All league participants must register through EZLeagues. Participants will not be asked to create an account or password. Simply fill out the relevant information and click submit.
- Create your team through EZLeagues.
- Tell your teammates to register for your team through EZLeagues.
- They should select the option that reads "I am registering for a Team"
- *Each player has to complete his/her own registration.
- Pay the registration fee at the front desk of the UNMC Center for Healthy Living by the registration deadline.
- Cash, credit, or personal check accepted
- Any team that pays the registration fee after the registration deadline must pay an additional $15 late fee.
Who May Participate?
- Registration for Intramural Curling is open to UNMC/Nebraska Medicine staff, faculty, students volunteers, retirees, and the spouse/parents/children (aged 16 or older) of someone who belongs to any of the previously mentioned groups.
- In addition, individuals who don't belong to any of the previously mentioned groups may participate. The number of non-UNMC/Nebraska Medicine individuals allowed on a team is subject to sport-specific limitations.
- In this case, Curling teams may have 2 non-UNMC/Nebraska Medicine individuals.
If you have any questions or if you would like more information, you may contact the Campus Recreation Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Center for Healthy Living front desk by phone at 402-559-5254.