We work in partnership with faculty, researchers, staff and students to promote safe and healthful laboratory environments that will support the University's science and research mission. Resources for a variety of laboratory safety issues are found below.
UNMC must meet certain training requirements in order to be compliant with federal, state and local laws and regulations. These regulations require members of the workforce be trained on a variety of topics. Many of our training programs are available through the UNMC Intranet
PI and lab managers – Leaders of safety who support consistent practices of safety. They are responsible for Safety in the lab, making sure staff know the hazards, have and use the appropriate PPE, make sure equipment is working properly, establish safe practices, follow emergency plans, conduct routine self‐audits, see that exposure monitoring done as needed, etc.
Department deans, chairs, administrators and managers – making sure that PI’s and lab mangers understand their role and assisting with issues of noncompliance.
• Safety Office/Risk Management – develop, implement and maintain lab safety guidelines, plans and policies. Have oversight of compliance with guidelines, plans and policies.
• Vice Chancellor of Research Office – helps develop policies and assists with enforcement on issues of noncompliance by working with department administrators and deans
• Vice Chancellor of Business and Finance ‐ assists with enforcement on issues of noncompliance when necessary
The VCR and Safety Office aims to provide the campus with the proper resources to ensure a safe research environment.
Visit the UNMC Safety Office website for additional resources.
Visit the Environmental Health & Safety Department web site for additional information.
Other important phone numbers are listed below:
- Biohazardous spill, cardiac arrest, emergencies, fire, gas odors/leaks, major radioactive spills - 402.559.5555 (campus "911")
- Fume hood/biological safety cabinet issues, building utilities/repair and maintenance, odor complaints - 402.559.4050 or email your concern.
- Needle sticks/body fluid exposures - 402.559.6824
- Poison Control Center - 402.955.5555 or 800-222-1222
- Radioactive spills (minor) - 402.559.6356 (during business hours)
- Safety questions (including lab sign updates) - 402.559.7315
- Security, threats or workplace violence - 402.559.5111
- Security business office - 402.559.4439
- Biosafety officer - 402.559.7774 (during business hours); after hours page 402.888.5588