Why are we doing this study?
- The purpose of this research study is to collect preferences, ideas, and needs for a pain self-management voice assistant program.
What problem is being addressed by the study?
- Pain is a significant problem, especially in the aging population.
- We want to find new ways to help people self-manage their pain. The goal is to make the best use of technology to help guide aging adults with pain self-management.
Who is the research lead and what is this team doing to address the problem?
- The lead researcher, Dr. Marcia Shade and her team are going to ask your opinions about a pain self-management voice assistant software.
Is the methodology new or innovative?
- The use of voice technology is a new approach to assist with self-monitoring of pain and medication use.
Why are volunteers needed for the study?
- Our goal is to involve the user in the design of the software so it can include features that best help the user. Volunteers are needed to provide a feedback on their needs and preferences for the pain self-management program.
Who may be eligible for the study?
Volunteers are eligible who:
Have had pain that has lasted for 3 months or longer, are 60 years of age or older, have taken pain medicine prescribed by a doctor or bought over the counter, and have a computer or laptop, internet access, and email address.
What are the expectations of study participants?
- Participants are expected to:
- Use a computer to listen to a voice assistant program.
- Be willing to be interviewed and audiotaped to share your experience, preferences, and suggestions for the voice assistant program
- The total time to complete this study is 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Individuals will be compensated for their time with a $40 Gift card
How do we hope the study will, ultimately, impact patients?
- Participants may not directly benefit from this study; however, their input will help us find new ways for people to manage their pain.
Who to contact to qualify with phone and email or link to qualifying information?
Dr. Marcia Shade, CON-Omaha Division - 402-559-6641 email@example.com or Rasila Soumana Hama Graduate Research Assistant Omaha, 402-216-5468