Thank you for your interest in the Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship Program at UNMC. We are an ACGME fully accredited 2 year independent model fellowship program. One position per academic year is available for match.
Applicants must submit all necessary application materials via the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) no later than December 31st. Applications received after that date will not be accepted. Please do not fax, e-mail, or mail application materials unless specifically requested to do so. Any materials received outside of ERAS will not be considered.
- All applications must be submitted through ERAS
- 3 letters of recommendation (LOR) required - 1 from current program director and/or department chair, plus 2 additional professional LOR
- Successful completion of an ACGME accredited general surgery residency*
- Clinical experience in the United States - required
- USMLE Steps 1 & 2 scores of no less than 220 on first attempt
- USMLE Step 3 - required (must be completed prior to ranking)
- ECFMG Certificate required for all International Medical Graduates
*With regard to single accreditation, osteopathic candidates must complete PGY 3-5 of their training in an ACGME accredited general surgery residency.
Interview dates are scheduled between the months of January and April. Upon acceptance of your application for interview, you will be contacted by the program coordinator to schedule an interview. All final candidate applications will be evaluated by the Cardiothoracic Surgery program faculty, ranked and submitted to the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Start date for fellowship is July 1st of the match year.
Applicants must register with both ERAS and NRMP to participate in the Match process.
Important Dates for Match 2024
December 7, 2022 - ERAS Applications Open
December 31, 2022 - Application Deadline for Prospective Match Candidates
Interview Dates - February 2023
*Candidates selected for interview will be notified early January 2023 via email. Interview dates are planned for a half-day sessions and filled on a first come first serve basis.
**Please note - due to continued restrictions for COVID-19, Match 2024 interviews planned for virtual (Zoom) interviews, only. More details will be posted as they are available.