University of Nebraska Medical Center

Summer Undergraduate Research Program

Interested in the possibility of a research career and want to experience research for a summer? The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology participates in the Summer Undergraduate Research Program through the College of Medicine.

Students in the summer program work for ten weeks doing hands-on cancer research in Biochemistry department laboratories. Students get to try research, learn techniques and new concepts, and work with professional researchers, all while earning a competitive summer salary. Join us and be part of the excitement:

  • Hands-on laboratory experience in cancer research labs
  • Daily interactions with research faculty, staff, and students
  • Weekly seminar program
  • Present your own research at a poster session
  • Competitive stipend, currently $4,000
  • Social activities
  • Housing available

How To Apply

The application is open November- January.

You will need to create an account in order to access the application.

Essay, letter of recommendations, unofficial transcripts will all be uploaded into the application. Please do not send any materials to the departments you have applied for. It is very important your recommenders follow this as well. All recommenders will get an email explaining how to upload their recommendations. If you send in your materials or your recommenders send in their letters via mail or email, your application will show incomplete.

Successful applicants will spend the summer working in a research laboratory in the department. The program will begin in June and will normally last for ten weeks. A stipend of $4,000 will be offered to each student for the summer.

Apply Now

International Students

International students who are currently on an F1 visa in the United States can apply to the program providing they have the proper documentation and summer school at their home institution is not required to maintain full-time student status. The student must have a letter of permission to work from their home institution, have a notation on their I-20 that they are eligible to work or have an Employment Authorization Document card. This documentation must be presented to the department.

International students who are not on an F1 visa would not be eligible for the program because of visa restrictions.