Bryant England, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine
Division of Rheumatology
University of Nebraska Medical Center
986270 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6270
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha VA Medical Center
2008 B.S. Exercise Science, Summa Cum Laude, Truman State University, Kirksville, MO
2012 M.D., University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
2015 Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center
2017 Fellowship, Rheumatology, University of Nebraska Medical Center
Current Hospital and Academic Appointments:
Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, Section of Rheumatology, UNMC
Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine Omaha Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Omaha, NE
Dr. England is a clinician-investigator with research interests focused on comorbidities and long-term outcomes in rheumatoid arthritis (RA). He conducts clinical and translational research to identify predictors of mortality as well as cardiovascular disease, respiratory disease, and cancer using large observational datasets. He also studies how comorbidities/multimorbidity influence disease course and patient outcomes in RA. Clinically, Dr. England is a rheumatologist focused on the care of patients with inflammatory arthritis (including RA, psoriatic arthritis, gout) and autoimmune lung diseases (such as RA-interstitial lung disease). He also utilizes musculoskeletal ultrasound to diagnose and treat rheumatic diseases.
Research Interests/Current Research:
Clinical and translational research in rheumatoid arthritis.
Comorbidities and long-term outcomes in rheumatoid arthritis.
- England BR, Sayles H, Mikuls TR, Johnson DS, Michaud K. Validation of the rheumatic disease comorbidity index. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2015 May;67(6):865-72. PMID: 25186344
- England B, Owlia MB, Akhtari M. Neutropenia in Felty's syndrome. In Neutropenia: Causes, Signs, Symptoms and Treatment. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. 2015. p. 43-62.
- England BR, Coburn BW, Payne JB, Thiele GM, Mikuls TR. Identifying and Treating Periodontitis in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Int J Clin Rheumatol. 2015 Oct;10(6):409-416.
- England BR, Sayles H, Michaud K, Caplan L, Davis LA, Cannon GW, Sauer BC, Solow EB, Reimold AM, Kerr GS, Schwab P, Baker JF, Mikuls TR. Cause-Specific Mortality in Male US Veterans with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016 Jan;68(1):36-45. PMID: 26097231
- England BR, Sokolove J, Robinson WH, Thiele GM, Ganti AK, Sayles H, Michaud K, Caplan L, Davis LA, Cannon GW, Sauer B, Singh N, Blair Solow E, Reimold AM, Kerr GS, Schwab P, Baker JF, Mikuls TR. Associations of Circulating Cytokines and Chemokines With Cancer Mortality in Men With Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016 Oct;68(10):2394-402. PMID: 27111000
- England BR, Thiele GM, Mikuls TR. Anticitrullinated protein antibodies: origin and role in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2017 Jan;29(1):57-64. Review. PMID: 27755123
- George MD, Giles JT, Katz PP, England BR, Mikuls TR, Michaud K, Ogdie-Beatty AR, Ibrahim S, Cannon GW, Caplan L, Sauer BC, Baker JF. The impact of obesity and adiposity on inflammatory markers in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017 Apr 10. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28393498
- England BR, Baker JF, Sayles H, Michaud K, Caplan L, Davis LA, Cannon GW, Sauer BC, Solow EB, Reimold AM, Kerr GS, Mikuls TR. Body Mass Index, Weight Loss, and Cause-Specific Mortality in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017 Apr 20. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28426913
- Ozen G, Kamen DL, Mikuls TR, England BR, Wolfe F, Michaud K. Trends and Determinants of Osteoporosis Treatment and Screening in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis Compared to Osteoarthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017 Aug 3. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28771973