Kaleb Michaud, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Internal Medicine
Division of Rheumatology
University of Nebraska Medical Center
986270 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6270
1997 B.S. University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
2001 M.S. Stanford University, Stanford, CA
2006 Ph.D. Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Current Hospital and Academic Appointments:
Associate Professor, Division of Rheumatology & Immunology, Department of Internal Medicine, UNMC
Stanford University Primary Care and Outcomes Research Adjunct Affiliate
Co-Director, National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases, Wichita, KS
Dr. Michaud serves as co-director of the National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases (NDB), the largest long-term open-cohort observational study of its kind with over 40,000 patients enrolled. Since 2007 he has been the principal investigator of the RAIN database composed of several rheumatology clinics in the Rheumatoid Arthritis Investigator’s Network, and has led the transition to using electronic tablets in the UNMC rheumatology clinic. He is co-founder and Director of Clinical Informatics for the Arthritis Internet Registry (AIR), a partnership with the NDB, Arthritis Foundation, and Quest Diagnostics. As an active volunteer in the American College of Rheumatology and Association for Rheumatology Health Professionals, he has served 8 years in developing the Rheumatology Informatics System for Effectiveness (RISE) national registry. He also works closely with Dr. Ted Mikuls on the Veteran Affairs Rheumatoid Arthritis (VARA) registry. His primary research interests revolve around pharmacoepidemiology, health outcomes, medical informatics, quality of life, and cost-effectiveness in rheumatology. Some of his current projects include: mortality in rheumatic diseases, cost-effectiveness of rheumatoid arthritis treatments, and impact of collecting patient reported outcomes via smartphones. He has received funding from the AHRQ, NIH, Arthritis Foundation, and Rheumatology Research Foundation, and is the director of the UNMC Rheumatology fellowship research program.
Research Interests/Current Research:
Outcomes research in rheumatic diseases using modern epidemiological, econometric and biostatistical methods
Selected Publications/Current Publications (Selected from more than 80):
- BR England, H Sayles, K Michaud, L Caplan, LA Davis, GW Cannon, BC Sauer, EB Solow, AM Reimold, GS Kerr, P Schwab, JF Baker, TR Mikuls. Cause-Specific Mortality in US Veteran Men with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Care and Research, in press, 2015.
- JF Baker, E Billig, K Michaud, S Ibrahim, L Caplan, GW Cannon, A Stokes, V Majithia, TR Mikuls.“Weight loss, the obesity paradox, and the risk of death in rheumatoid arthritis”, Arthritis and Rheumatology, in press, 2015.
- EB Solow, F Yu, GM Thiele, J Sokolove, WH Robinson, ZM Pruhs, KD Michaud, AR Erickson, HSayles, GS Kerr, AL Gaffo, L Caplan, LA Davis, GW Cannon, AM Reimold, J Baker, P Schwab, DR Anderson, TR Mikuls. “Vascular calcifications on hand radiographs in rheumatoid arthritis and associations with autoantibodies, cardiovascular risk factors and mortality”, Rheumatology, in press,2015.
- K Michaud, V Strand, NA Shadick, I Degtiar, K Ford, SN Michalopoulos, J Hornberger. "Outcomes and Costs of Incorporating a Multi-biomarker Disease Activity Test in the Management of Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis," Rheumatology, in press, 2015.
- BR England, H Sayles, TR Mikuls, DS Johnson, K Michaud*. “Validation of the Rheumatic Disease Comorbidity Index”, Arthritis Care and Research, Vol. 67(6):865, 2015.
- ML Davis, T LeVan, F Yu, H Sayles, K Michaud, J Sokolove, W Robinson, GM Thiele, TR Mikuls.“Associations of toll-like receptor (TLR)-4 single nucleotide polymorphisms and rheumatoid arthritis disease progression: an observational cohort study International Immunopharmacology”, International Immunopharmacology, Vol. 24(2):346, 2015.
- GW Cannon, SL DuVall, CL Haroldsen, L Caplan, JR Curtis, K Michaud, TR Mikuls, A Reimold, DH Collier, DJ Harrison, GJ Joseph, BC Sauer. “Persistence and Dose Escalation of Tumor Necrosis Factor Inhibitors in US Veterans with Rheumatoid Arthritis”, Journal of Rheumatology, Vol. 41(10):1935,2014.
- G Kerr, M Aujero, J Richards, H Sayles, L Davis, G Cannon, L Caplan, K Michaud, T Mikuls.“Associations of hydroxychloroquine use with lipid profiles in rheumatoid arthritis: Pharmacologic implications”, Arthritis Care and Research, Vol. 66(11):1619, 2014.
- F Wolfe, K Michaud, RE Busch, RS Katz, JJ Rasker, SH Shahouri, TS Shaver, S Wang, BT Walitt, W Hauser. “Polysymptomatic Distress in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis: Understanding disproportionate response and its spectrum”, Arthritis Care and Research, Vol. 66(10):1465, 2014.
- DT Lim, AC Cannella, KD Michaud, TR Mikuls. “Cardiovascular risk and the use of biologic agents in rheumatoid arthritis”, Current Rheumatology Reports, Vol. 16(11):459, 2014.