Geoffrey Thiele, Ph.D.
Professor, Internal Medicine
Division of Rheumatology
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Experimental Immunology Laboratory
Wittson Hall 3025
Department of Internal Medicine
986350 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6350
Omaha VA Medical Center
Experimental Immunology Laboratory
Research Services 151, R321A
4101 Woolworth Avenue
Omaha, NE 68105
1979 BS University of Nebraska Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska
1985 Ph.D. University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska
Current Hospital and Academic Appointments:
Professor in Internal Medicine, UNMC
Professor in Pathology and Microbiology, UNMC (Courtesy Appointment)
Faculty, University of Nebraska Graduate College, UNMC
Research Scientist, VA Nebraska- Western Iowa Health Care System (NWIHCS)
Director/Investigator, Experimental Immunology Laboratories at the UNMC and NWIHCS
Dr. Thiele received his Ph.D. in 1985 from the University of Nebraska Medical Center, Department of Medical Microbiology/Immunology. Throughout his career, his research has primarily centered on the alteration of self-proteins resulting in the development and/or progression of autoimmunity. He is actively involved in basic and translational research activities through the; NIH, Veterans Affairs, U.S. Department of Defense, American Heart Association, and the Rheumatology Research Foundation. He has extensive experience conducting research from each of these agencies and been involved in many multicenter projects. More recently, he has become involved in the formation of multiple databases, biobanks and registries for use in the studies performed by the Experimental Immunology Laboratories, VA Rheumatoid Arthritis (VARA) group (in conjunction with Dr. Ted Mikuls), UNMC Cardiovascular registry (in conjunction with Dr. Dan Anderson), Rheumatoid Arthritis Interactive Network (RAIN) registry, and many others.
He serves on multiple national study sections of the NIH, VA and AHA. Additionally, he is a member of 11 different national/international organizations at which he has presented and/or organized. He is the author of more than 140 manuscripts and 14 book chapters. Dr. Thiele holds 6 different patents for various studies associated with his research interests.
Finally, Dr. Thiele has been recognized for his excellence in teaching on many occasions. He has been recognized by the Education Committee in the Department of Internal Medicine for excellence in teaching every year since 1995. In addition he has won; the Golden Apple 3 times from the 2nd Year Medical School class, the Hirschmann Basic Science Teaching Award twice (2010 and 2015), the College of Medicine Class of 1962 Basic Science Outstanding Teacher Award (2010), along with various other awards for teaching.
Research Interests/Current Research:
Evaluation of the pathogenesis autoimmune disease. More specifically, evaluating the effects of altered self-proteins on the immune response resulting in the breaking of immune tolerance, to initiate autoimmune disease. Disease processes under investigation include, but are not limited to- Rheumatoid arthritis, Rheumatic diseases in general, cardiovascular disease, peripheral vascular disease, and autoimmune liver disease.
Selected Publications/Current Publications:
1. Thiele GM, Tuma DJ, Willis MS, Miller JA, Sorrell MF, McDonald TL and Klassen LW. Soluble proteins modified with acetaldehyde and malondialdehyde are immunogenic in the absence of adjuvants. Alcoholism: Clin Exp Res 22(8):1731-1739, 1998.
2. Thiele GM, Klassen LW, Tuma DJ. Formation and Immunological Properties of Aldehyde-Derived Protein Adducts Following Alcohol Consumption. Methods Mol. Biol. 447:235-257, 2008.
3. Mikuls TR, Payne JB, Reinhardt RA, Thiele GM, Maziarz E, Cannella AC, Holers VM, Kuhn KA and O’Dell JR. Antibody responses to Porphyromonas gingivalis (P. gingivalis) in subjects with rheumatoid arthritis and periodontitis. Int. Immunopharmacol. 9(1):38-42; 2009. PMCID: 2748386
4. Thiele GM, Duryee MJ, Willis MS, Tuma DJ, Radio SJ, Hunter CD, Schaffert CS and Klassen LW. Autoimmune Hepatitis Induced by Syngeneic Liver Cytosolic Proteins Biotransformed by Alcohol Metabolites. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 34(12):2126-2136; 2010. PMCID: 3014581
5. Mikuls TR, Fay BT, Michaud K, Sayles H, Thiele GM, Caplan L, Johnson D, Richards JS, Kerr GS, Cannon GW, Reimold A. Associations of Disease Activity and Treatments with Mortality in Men with Rheumatoid Arthritis: Results from the VARA Registry. Rheum 50(1):101-109; 2011. PMCID: 3108313
6. Mikuls TR, Thiele GM, Payne JB. Periodontitis and Porphyromonas gingivalis: Possible Roles in Rheumatoid Arthritis Risk and Progression. Int J Clin Rev 2012;04:01. PMC Journal-in Process
7. Thiele GM, Duryee MJ, Dusad A, Hunter CD, Lacy JP, Anderson DR, Wang D, O’Dell JR, Mikuls TR and Klassen LW. Citrullinated Mouse Collagen Administered to DBA/1J Mice in the Absence of Adjuvant Initiates Arthritis. International Immunopharmacology 13(4):424-431, 2012. PMID: 22626832; PMC Journal-in Process
8. Mikuls TR, Thiele GM, Deane KD, Payne JB, O’Dell JR, Yu F, Sayles H, Weisman MH, Gregersen PK, Buckner JH, Keating RM, Derver LA, Holer VM and Norris JM. Porphyromonas gingivalis and Disease-Related Autoantibodies in Individuals at Increased Risk for Future Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 64(11):3522-3530;2012. PMCID: 3467347
9. Dusad A, Duryee MJ, Shaw AT, Klassen LW, Anderson DR, Wang D, Ren K, Gravallese EM, O’Dell JR, Mikuls TR, Thiele GM. Induction of bone loss in DBA/1J mice immunized with citrullinated autologous mouse type II collagen in the absence of adjuvant. Immunol Res. 58(1):51-60; 2014. PMID:24371010; PMC Journal-in Process
10. Quirke AM, Lugli EB, Wegner N, Hamilton BC, Charles P, Chowdhury M, Ytterberg AJ, Zubarev RA, Potempa J, Culshaw S, Guo Y, Fisher BA, Thiele G, Mikuls TR, Venables PJ. Heightened Immune Response to Autocitrullinated Porphyromonas Gingivalis Peptidylarginine Deiminase: A Potential Mechanism For Breaching Immunologic Tolerance in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 73(1):263-269; 2014. PMCID: 3888615
11. Mikuls TR, Payne JB, Yu F, Thiele GM, Reynolds RJ, Cannon GW, Markt J, McGowan D, Kerr GS, Redman RS, Reimold A, Griffiths G, Beatty M, Gonzalez S, Bergman DA, Hamilton BC, Erickson AR, Sokolove J, Robinson W, Walker C, Chandad F, O'Dell JR. Periodontitis and Porphyromonas gingivalis in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 66(5):1090-1100;2014. PMCID: 4115329
12. Sokolove J, Johnson DS, Wagner CA, Cheng D, Thiele GM, Mikuls TR, Robinson WH. Rheumatoid Factor as a Potentiator of Anti-Citrullinated Protein Antibody Mediated Inflammation in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis and Rheumatology 66(4):813-821; 2014. PMCID: 3994896
13. Gonzalez SM, Payne JB, Yu F, Thiele GM, Erickson AR, Johnson P, Schmid M, Cannon GW, Kerr GS, Reimold A, Sokolove J, Robinson W and Mikuls, TR. Alveolar Bone Loss is Associated with Circulating Anti-Citrullinated Protein Antibody (ACPA) in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients. J Periodontol 9:1-16; 2014. PMID: 25299390; PMC Journal-in Process
14. Anderson DR, Duryee MJ, Shurmur SW, Um J, Bussey WD, Hunter CE, Garvin RP, Mikuls TR, Klassen LW, Thiele GM. Unique Antibody Responses to Malondialdehyde-Acetaldehyde (MAA)-Protein Adducts Predict Coronary Artery Disease. PLoS One. 11;9(9):e107440; 2014. PMCID: 4161424; PMC Journal-in Process
15. Thiele GM, Duryee MJ, Anderson DR, Klassen LW, Mohring S, Young KA, Benissan-Messan D, Sayles H, Dusad A, Hunter C, Sokolove J, Robinson W, O’Dell JR, Nicholas A, Tuma DJ, Mikuls TR. Malondialdehyde-Acetaldehyde Adducts (MAA) and anti-MAA Antibody in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis and Rheumatology. 67(3):645-655, 2015. PMID 25417811; PMC Journal-in Process