|Su-min Zhou, PhD (he/him)|
Professor & Director of Medical Physics
PhD in Physics, The University of Chicago, 1992
MS in Physics, The University of Chicago, 1988
BS in Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, 1986
American Board of Radiology - Therapeutic Radiological Physics
American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
American Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
Clinical & Research Interests:
Image based, patient specific, and non-uniform radiotherapy treatment margin design
Application of functional imaging in treatment planning and outcome prediction
Tumor control and normal tissue complication probability modeling
Organ motion management in radiotherapy
Selected Clinical and Research Projects:
FLASH therapy is a new radiation treatment modality involving ultra-high dose rates (e.g., over 400 times more than the current standard). It is believed to have the potential to revolutionize cancer treatments. Animal studies have shown that FLASH can reduce radiation-induced damage in healthy tissues while achieving similar tumor killing. It is hypothesized that this “FLASH effect” is likely due to a reduction in Oxygenation levels (e.g., hypoxia) in the healthy tissues, but the mechanisms are still not well understood. This work focuses on investigating this effect using theoretical radiobiological modeling.
- Xia, P., Sintay, B.J., Colussi, V.C., Chuang, C., Lo, Y.C., Schofield, D., Wells, M. and Zhou, S., 2021. Medical Physics Practice Guideline (MPPG) 11. a: Plan and chart review in external beam radiotherapy and brachytherapy. Journal of applied clinical medical physics, 22(9), pp.4-19.
- Zhou, S., Zheng, D., Fan, Q., Yan, Y., Wang, S., Lei, Y., Besemer, A., Zhou, C. and Enke, C., 2020. Minimum dose rate estimation for pulsed FLASH radiotherapy: a dimensional analysis. Medical physics, 47(7), pp.3243-3249.
- Wisnoskie, S.B., Liang, X., Wahl, A.O., Bennion, N.R., Granatowicz, A.D., Zhou, S. and Zheng, D., 2020. Using flattening filter free beams in electronic tissue compensation whole breast irradiation with deep inspiration breath hold. Journal of applied clinical medical physics, 21(12), pp.280-287.
- Wang, S., Zheng, D., Lin, C., Lei, Y., Verma, V., Smith, A., Ma, R., Enke, C.A. and Zhou, S., 2019. Technical assessment of an automated treatment planning on dose escalation of pancreas stereotactic body radiotherapy. Technology in cancer research & treatment, 18, p.1533033819851520.
- Du, Q., Zhang, C., Zhu, X., Liang, X., Zhang, C., Verma, V., Follet, K., Wang, S., Fan, Q., Ma, R. and Zhou, S., 2018. Application of statistical and computational methodology to predict brainstem dosimetry for trigeminal neuralgia stereotactic radiosurgery. Medical physics, 45(5), pp.1822-1831.
- Zheng, D., Verma, V., Wang, S., Liang, X. and Zhou, S., 2018. Does intensity modulation increase target dose calculation errors of conventional algorithms for lung SBRT?. Journal of applied clinical medical physics, 19(2), pp.154-159.
- Zhou, S., Zhu, X., Zhang, M., Zheng, D., Lei, Y., Li, S., Bennion, N., Verma, V., Zhen, W. and Enke, C., 2016. Estimation of internal organ motion-induced variance in radiation dose in non-gated radiotherapy. Physics in Medicine & Biology, 61(23), p.8157.