The UNMC Neurology Residency Program is a 4 year categorical ACGME certified program which balances clinical training, a broad educational curriculum, and career development. Graduates of the residency program are well-prepared to enter clinical practice or to continue training in subspecialty fellowship.
The residency program's home institution is the University of Nebraska Medical Center, which is also home to a medical school. Residents have the opportunity to rotate through three affiliated training facilities - Nebraska Medicine, which is the primary teaching hospital of UNMC, the Omaha Division of the Veterans Administration Medical Center and Children's Hospital & Medical Center. Together, these tertiary care hospitals comprise the largest referral center in Nebraska and its neighboring states, providing residents experience with a very diverse range of patients and disease states.
The Department of Neurological Sciences is comprised of clinicians, scientists, and educators who have the vision, ability, and dedication to advance neural health across the lifespan. This gives our residents the opportunity to work with and learn from leaders in patient care, research, education, administration, and outreach, who deliver innovative care to patients with the most severe and complex neurologic disorders.
Our program encourages wellness and resiliency through formal training and department-sponsored social activities. Our program's vision is to enhance neurologic care for Nebraska and to graduate outstanding neurologists who will be leaders in research, quality improvement, outreach, and medical education. The program's goals are aligned with the ITEACH values of our institution - Innovation, Teamwork, Excellence, Accountability, Courage, and Healing.
Resident Salaries 2019-2020
- PGY I - $58,690
- PGY 2 - $60,863
- PGY 3 - $63,343
- PGY 4- $65,601
- 20 days paid vacation per year (accruable to 30 day max)
- 12 days paid sick leave per year (accruable)
- 5 days educational leave per year (non-accruable)
- Education Funds: $300 each academic year (non-accruable)
- Academic Conference Fund of $2,000 (mostly used for AAN)
- Paid BLS, ACLS and ENLS Courses and recertification
- Food provided for Grand Rounds
- Annual department wide picnic and holiday party
- On-site day care: For more information please call (402) 559-8800
- The child care center is located in the Administration Center on campus
- Exercise facilities: House Officers may use all exercise facilities for free
- Discounted membership to the Student Life Center gym
- Covered, connected parking on campus for house officers
- Daily meal card of $7 and additional on-call money for overnight shifts
- Shared University house officer lounges with free food on weekends
- Neurology resident lounge with great amenities
- Comprehensive group health coverage
- Low-rate automatic disability coverage available
- Lab coats provided and laundered at University expense
- Tuition credit of 15 credit hours/year for employee and immediate family to the Univeristy of Nebraska campuses in Omaha, Lincoln, and Kearney, as well as the University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Full-time House Officer Assistance Program manager