PMR 710 Clinical Elective in Rehabilitation Medicine
Physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R or physiatry) is a medical specialty concerned with diagnosis and treatment of functional impairments involving the neurological and musculoskeletal systems. PM&R encompasses the treatment of children and adults, and offers several subspecialty areas of concentration – pediatric rehab, spinal cord injury medicine, brain injury medicine, neuromuscular disease, sports medicine, pain medicine and palliative care. This elective is designed to expose students to the principles of physical medicine and rehabilitation, and it includes experiences in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. Inpatient rotations will include care of adults and children with major disabling illness or injury, and outpatient rotations will show such areas of interest as spasticity management; electrodiagnosis (EMG and nerve conduction study) and its application to outpatient diagnosis of disorders of the nerve or nerve root; and musculoskeletal diagnostic assessment and treatment of common painful disorders. Regular reading, student presentation at monthly journal club or other teaching conference, and satisfactory performance on an end-rotation written test of knowledge are mandatory components of the rotation.
1. Determine how to make appropriate patient referrals based on knowledge of PM&R.
2. Apply the evaluation of function as it relates to health and disease states.
3. Demonstrate ability to perform a neuromusculoskeletal physical examination as part of the assessment of function.
4. Discuss how PM&R physicians work as leaders of a team of rehabilitation professionals to assist patients in regaining function and returning to community.
5. Describe the roles of physical and occupational therapy, speech and swallowing evaluations and role of neuropsychologists in comprehensive patient evaluation and treatment.
Samuel Bierner, M.D., Professor and Chair and Chair, UNMC Department of PMR
Christopher Anderson, D.O., Assistant Professor, UNMC Department of PM&R
Aishwarya Patil, M.D., Assistant Professor, UNMC Department of PM&R
Michael Weaver, D.O., Assistant Professor, UNMC Department of PM&R
Adam Kafka, M.D., Volunteer Faculty, UNMC Department of PM&R
Paul Krabbenhoft, M.D., Volunteer Faculty, UNMC Department of PM&R
Morgan LaHolt, M.D., Volunteer Faculty, UNMC Department of PM&R
Jackie Tran, M.D., Volunteer Faculty, UNMC Department of PM&R
Students who are interested in participating in this elective should contact Travis Weyant.
Email: email@example.com Phone: 402-559-3964