Professor of Surgery
University of Nebraska Medical Center
983285 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-3285, USA
Graduate: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
Residency: University of Utah Medical Center, General Surgery, Salt Lake City, UT
Fellowship: University of Nebraska Medical Center, Solid Organ Transplantation, Omaha, NE
Board Certification: American Board of Surgery
Academic Appointments: Alton S. Wong, MD Distinguished Professor in Surgery, Division of Transplantation, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
Program Director of Fellow Training Program, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
Director of Living Donor Liver Transplant Program, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
Associate Dean for Student Affairs, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
Medical Director Pediatric Transplantation, University of Nebraska Medical Center Omaha, NE
Specialty Interests: Outcomes following intestinal transplantation, liver transplantation and surgical education
- Infantino BJ, Mercer DF, Hobson BD, Fischer RT, Gerhardt BK, Grant WJ, Langnas AN, Quiros-Tejeira RE. Successful rehabilitation in pediatric ultrashort small bowel syndrome. J Pediatr. 2013 Jul 15. Doi:pii: S0022-3476(13)00678-1.
- Perry AM, Aoun P, Coulter DW, Sanger WG, Grant WJ, Coccia PF. Early onset EBV(-) PTLD in pediatric liver-small bowel transplantation recipients: a spectrum of plasma cell neoplasms with favorable prognosis. Blood. 2013 Feb 221;121(8):1377-83. Doi: 10-1182/blood-2012-06-438549. Epub 2012 Dec 18.
- Swanson BJ, Talmon GA, Wisecarver JW, Grant WJ, Radio SJ. Histologic analysis of chronic rejection in small bowel transplantation: mucosal and vascular alterations. Transplantation. 2013 Jan 27;95(2): 378-82. Doi 10.1097/TP.0b013e318270f370.
- Thompson JS, Weseman RA, Rochling FA, Grant WJ, Botha JF, Langnas AN, Mercer DF. Preresection obesity increases the risk of hepatobiliary complications in short bowel syndrome. Nutrients. 2012 Sep 26;4(10): 1356-66. Doi: 3390/nu4101358.
- Mercer DF, Hobson BD, Fischer RT, Talmon GA, Perry DA, Gerhardt BK, Grant WJ, Botha JF, Langnas AN, Quiros-Tejeira RE. Hepatic fibrosis persists and progresses despite biochemical improvement in children treated with intravenous fish oil emulsion. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013 Apr;56(4):364-9. Doi: 10.1097/MPG.0b013e31827e208c.
- Kalil AC, Mindru C, Botha JF, Grant WJ, Mercer DF, Olivera MA, McCartan MA, McCashland TM, Langnas AN, Florescu DF. Risk of cytolmegalovirus disease in high-risk liver transplant recipients on valganciclovir prophylaxis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Liver Transpl. 2012 Dec;18(12):1440-7. Doi: 10.1002/lt.23530
- Kalil AC, Florescu M, Grant W, Miles C, Morris M, Stevens RB, Langnas AN, Florescu DF: Risk of serious opportunistic infections with induction: interleukin-2 receptor antagonists versus polyclonal antibodies. Submitted: British Journal of Medicine.
- Boland E, Thompson JS, Grant WJ, Botha J, Langnas AN, Mercer DF. Massive small bowel resection during pregnancy causing short bowel syndrome. Am Surg. 2011 Dec; 77(12):1589-92.
- Florescu DF, Hermsen ED, Kwon JY, Gumeel D, Grant WJ, Mercer DF, Kalil AC. Is there a role for oral human immunoglobulin in the treatment for norovirus enteritis in immunocompromised patients? Pediatr Transplantation 2011 Nov, 15: (7)718-721.
- Mercer DF, Vargas L, Sun Y, Moreno AM, Grant WJ, Botha JF, Langnas AN, Sudan DL. Stool calprotectin monitoring after small intestine transplantation. Transplantation. 2011 May 27;91(10):1166-71.
- Stoye Allen, Chapin James W, Botha JF, Grant WJ. Bloodless liver transplantation in a Jehovah’s witness. International Anesthesiology Clinics. Spring 2011; 49(2):108-115. doi: 10.1097/AIA.0b013e3181fa1482.
- Botha JF, Langnas AN, Campos BD, Grant WJ, et al. Left lobe adult-to-adult living donor liver transplantation: small grafts and hemi portacaval shunts in the prevention of small-for-size syndrome. Liver Transplantation. May 2010; 16(5) 649-657
- Moody, F, Deneve JL, Grant W. CD4 count is predictive of outcome in HIV-positive patients undergoing abdominal operations discussion. American Journal of Surgery. Dec 2010; 200(6) 699-700.
- Florescu, DF, Islam, KM, Grant, W, Mercer DF, Langnas, A, Botha, J, Nielsen, B, Kalil, AC. Incidence and outcome of fungal infections in pediatric small bowel transplant recipients. Transplant Infectious Disease. Dec 2010; 12(6) 497-504.
- Yannam, GR, Sudan, DL, Grant, W, Botha, J, Langnas, A, Thompson, JS. Intestinal lengthening in adult patients with short bowel syndrome. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. Dec 2010; 14;1931-1936.
- Swanson BJ, Grant WJ, Radio SJSUN Y, Shu Z. Small bowel allograft explant mucosal alterations correlate with vascular arteriopathy. Modern Pathology 2010 Feb; 23:169A-169A Suppl 1.
- Swanson BJ, Grant WJ, Radio SJ. Small bowel allograft explant mucosal alterations correlate with vascular arteriopathy. Laboratory Investigation 2010 Feb; 90:169A-169A Suppl 1.
- Sun Y, Zhu Z, Langnas AN, Grant WJ, Botha JF, Zhao Y, Sudan DL, Mercer DF. Plasma nitrite and nitrate levels as a noninvasive marker of pathology after human small bowel transplantation. Transplantation 2010 Feb 15; 89(3):301-11
- Vargas L, Grant WJ, Mercer DF, et al. Venous vascular insufficiency in intestinal failure. American Journal of Transplantation 2010 Jan; 10:78-78 Suppl