|Graduate:||National University of Singapore|
|Fellowship:||National University of Singapore|
2014 – now, Assistant Professor, Mary & Dick Holland Regenerative Medicine Program and Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center.
|Specialty Interests:||Xie laboratory’s research interests center on the synthesis, surface modification, self-assembly of materials at nanometer scale to address problems in the field of tissue engineering, regenerative medicine and drug/gene delivery. Our research programs are built upon interdisciplinary subjects including materials science, engineering, biology and medicine. We develop novel, smart biomaterials with well-controlled composition, structure and functional properties. We employ analytical tools in materials science, biology and medicine to characterize these biomaterials as either scaffolds or drug/gene carriers. Specifically, we are interested in use of nano-structured materials together with signaling molecules to regulate cell/stem cell behaviors for regenerating various types of tissues including tendon-to-bone insertion site, cartilage, bone, skin, cardiac muscle, and nerve. We are also interested in developing nano-structured materials for enhancing survival, proliferation, and function of human islets in vitro and in vivo. Additionally, we are interested in developing nanofibrous materials as local drug delivery devices for prevention of surgical site infection.|
- Local sustained delivery of 25-hydroxyvitmain D3 for production of antimicrobial peptides. Jiang J, Chen G, Shuler FD, Wang CH, Xie J*, Pharm. Res. 2015 in press.
- Smart electrospun nanofibers for controlled drug release: recent advances and new perspectives. Weng L, Xie J*, Curr. Pharm. Des.2015 in press.
- Electrospun nanofiber scaffolds with gradations in fiber organization. Khandalavala K, Jiang J, Shuler FD, Xie J*, Journal of Visualized Experiments,2015 in press.
- Electrohydrodynamic atomization: a two-decade effort to produce and process micro-/nanoparticulate materials. Xie J*, Jiang J, and Wang CH, Chemical Engineering Science, 2015, 125, 32-57. (Invited review article)
- Nerve guidance conduits based on double-layered scaffolds of electrospun nanofibers for repairing the peripheral nervous system. Xie J, MacEwan MR, Liu W, Jesuraj N, Li X, Hunter D, Xia Y, ACS Applied Materials & Interface2014, 6(12), 9472-9480.
- Nanofiber scaffolds with gradients in mineral content for spatial control of osteogenesis. Liu W, Lipner J, Xie J, Manning CN, Thomopoulos S, Xia Y, ACS Applied Materials & Interface2014, 6(4), 2842-2849.
- Neurite outgrowth on electrospun nanofibers with uniaxial alignment: the effects of fiber density, surface coating, and supporting substrate. Xie J, Liu W, MacEwan MR, Bridgman PC, Xia Y, ACS Nano2014, DOI: 10.1021/nn406363j.
- Biomimetic nanofiber scaffolds for tendon-to-bone insertion repair. Xie J*, Ma B, Shuler FD, Advanced Materials Research2014, 875-877, 331-334.
- A mussel-inspired coating finely tailoring pH-responsive drug delivery from electrospun nanofibers. Jiang J, Xie J*, Ma B, Bartlett DE, Wang CH, Acta Biomaterialia, 2014, 10, 1324-1332.
- Sandwich-type fiber scaffolds with square arrayed microwells and nanostructured cues as microskin grafts for skin regeneration. Ma B, Xie J*, Jiang J, and Wu J, Biomaterials2014, 35, 630-641.
- Rational design of nanofiber scaffolds for orthopaedic tissue repair and regeneration. Ma B, Xie J*, Jiang J, Shuler FD, Bartlett DE, Nanomedicine2013, 8, 1459-1481.
- Controlled delivery of mesenchymal stem cells and growth factors using a tendon-specific nanofiber scaffold. Mannning CN, Schwartz AG, Liu W, Xie J, Sakiyama-Elbert S, Silva MJ, Xia Y, Gelberman RH, Thomopoulos S, Acta Biomaterialia, 2013, 9(6), 6905-6914. (citation: 7 times)
- Controlled biomineralization of electrospun poly(ε-caprolactone) fibers for enhancing their mechanical properties, Xie J*, Zhong S, Ma B, Shuler FD, Lim CT, Acta Biomaterialia , 2013, 9, 5698-5707. (citation: 3 times)
- Proliferation of genetically modified human cells on electrospun nanofiber scaffolds. Borjigin M, Strouse B, Bialk P, Eskridge C, Niamat R, Xie J, Kmiec EB, Molecular Therapy-Nucleic Acids, 2012, 1(12): e59. (citation: 4 times)
- Fabrication of novel 3D nanofiber scaffolds with anisotropic property and regular pores and their potential applications. Xie J*, Ma B, Michael PL, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2012, 1, 674-678. (citation: 3 times)
- Fabrication of nanofiber scaffolds with gradations in fiber organization and their potential applications. Xie J*, Michael PL, Ma B, Shuler FD, Macromolecular Biosciences, 2012, 12:1336-1341. (citation: 2 times)
- Mussel inspired protein-mediated surface modification to electrospun fibers and their potential biomedical applications. Xie J*, Michael PL, Zhong S, Ma B, MacEwan MR, Lim CT, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A,2012, 100A, 929-938. (citation: 6 times)
- Submicron bioactive glass tubes for bone tissue engineering. Xie J*, Blough EK, and Wang CH, Acta Biomaterialia, 2012, 8, 811-819. (Corresponding author) (citation: 9 times)
- Enhancing the stiffness of electrospun nanofiber scaffolds with a controlled surface coating and mineralization. Liu W, Yeh YC, Lipner J, Xie J, Sung HW, Thomopoulos S and Xia Y, Langmuir, 2011, 27, 9088-9093. (citation: 14 times)
- Nanofiber membranes with controllable microwells and structural cues and their use in forming cell microarrays and neuronal networks. Xie J, Liu W, MacEwan MR, Yeh YC, Thomopoulos S and Xia Y, Small, 2011, 7, 293-297. (This article was featured on the cover.) (citation: 9 times)
- Radially aligned, electrospun nanofibers as dural substitutes for wound closure and tissue regeneration applications. Xie J, MacEwan MR, Ray WZ, Liu W, Siewe DY and Xia Y, ACS Nano, 2010, 4, 5027-5036. (This article was featured on the cover, highlighted in Chemical& Engineering News and Spotlight section on Nanowerk web) (citation: 35 times)
- Nanoparticulate formulations for paclitaxel delivery across MDCK cell monolayer. Xie J, Lei C, Hu Y, Gay GK, Jamali NHB and Wang CH, Current Pharm. Design, 2010, 16, 2331-2340. (This article was highlighted on the cover.) (citation: 6 times)
- “Aligned-to-random” nanofiber scaffolds for mimicking the structure of tendon-to-bone insertion site. Xie J, Li X, Lipner J, Wolfe C, Schwartz AG, Thomopoulos S and Xia Y, Nanoscale, 2010, 2, 923-926. (citation: 27 times)
- Fabrication of density gradients of biodegradable polymer microparticles and their use in guiding neurite outgrowth. Li X, MacEwan MR, Xie J, Siewe D, Yuan X and Xia Y, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2010, 20, 1632- 1637. (citation: 10 times)
- Electrospun nanofibers for neural tissue engineering. Xie J, MacEwan MR, Schwartz GA and Xia Y, Nanoscale, 2010, 2, 35-44.
- Electric field controlled electrospray deposition for precise particle pattern and cell pattern formation. Xie J, Rezvanpour A, Wang CH and Hua J, AICHE Journal, 2010, 56, 2607-2621.(citation: 5 times)