Title: Associate Professor
Courtesy Associate Professor, UNMC Department of Genetics, Cell Biology & Anatomy
Department of Oral Biology
UNMC College of Dentistry
4000 East Campus Loop South
Lincoln NE 68583-0740
Telephone: (402) 472-1378
Fax: (402) 472-2551
- B.D.S The University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
- M.D.Sc. (Oral Biology & Pathology) - The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- Ph.D. (Oral Biology) - The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- Research Fellow (Cell Biology) Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
- Course Instructor, General/Oral Histology (ORBI 319)
- Course Director, Course Director, Oral Histology & Embryology (ORBI 522)
- Course Instructor, General Pathology I (ORBI 539)
- Course Instructor, Review of Biomedical Sciences (ORBI 571)
- Course Instructor, Advanced Oral Biology (OBIO 855)
- Transforming Growth Factor (TGF) ß signaling during palate development
- Mechanisms of Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition (EMT) by TGFß in HNSCC
- Role of TGFß signaling during dentinogenesis
- National Institutes of Health (R01), "Ephrin control of palatal fusion,” Co-PI; 06/2014 - 05/2019
- National Institutes of Health (Subcontract), “Epithelial specific TGF-beta signaling in palatogenesis,” Co-PI; Principal Investigator: University of Michigan; 9/2012 - 2/2015
- Nebraska Bankers Association Grant for Equipment, "Thermo scientific nanodrop spectrophotometer" PI; 2010
- NIH RO1, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, "TGF ß 3 signaling in the development of palate," PI; 03/2008-02/2013;
- L Hu, J Liu, Z Li, C Wang, A Nawshad. Transforming growth factor-β1 activates ΔNp63/c-Myc to promote oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 122(4):460-482 (PMID: 27567435), 2016.
- F Ozturk F, E Sheldon, J Sharma, KM Canturk, HH Otu, A Nawshad. Nicotine exposure during pregnancy results in persistent midline epithelial seam with improper palatal fusion. Nicotine Tob Res 18(5):604-12 (PMID: 26443016), 2016 May..
- Hu L, Liu J, Li Z, Ozturk F, Gurumurthy C, Romano RA, Sinha S, Nawshad A. TGFβ3 regulates periderm removal through ΔNp63 in the developing palate. J Cell Physiol 2015 Jun; 230(6):1212-25.PMID: 25358290.
- Serrano MJ, Liu J, Svoboda KK, Nawshad A, Benson MD. Ephrin reverse signaling mediates palatal fusion and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition independently of Tgfß3. J Cell Physiol 2015 Dec; 230(12):2961-72. PMID: 25893671.
- Ozturk F, Li Y, Zhu X, Guda C, Nawshad A. Systematic analysis of palatal transcriptome to identify cleft palate genes within TGFβ3-knockout mice alleles: RNA-Seq analysis of TGFβ3 Mice. BMC Genomics 14:113, 2013 Feb 20.
- Zhu X, Ozturk F, Pandey S, Guda CB, Nawshad A. Implications of TGFß on transcriptome and cellular biofunctions of palatal mesenchyme. Front Physiol 3:85, 2012.
- Jalali A, Zhu X, Liu C, Nawshad A. Induction of palate epithelial mesenchymal transition by transforming growth factor β3 signaling. Dev Growth Differ 6:633-48. 2012.
- Zhu X, Ozturk F, Liu C, Oakley GG, Nawshad A. TGFβ activates c-Myc to promote palatal growth. J Cell Biochem 113(10):3069-85, 2012.
- Medici, D. and Nawshad, A. Discoidin domain receptor 2 is critical regulator of epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Matrix Biol 30(4):243-47, May 2011.
- Iordanskaia, T. and Nawshad, A. Mechanisms of transforming growth factor β induced cell cycle arrest in palate development. J Cell Physiol 226(5):1415-24, May 2011.
- Lee, Y., Liu, X., Nawshad, A., Marx, D.B., Wang, D., and Reinhardt, R.A. Role of prostaglandin pathway and alendronate-based carriers to enhance statin-induced bone. Mol Pharm 1:8(4):1035-42, August 2011.
- Medici, D., Nawshad, A. (2010). Type I collagen promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition through ILK-dependent activation of NF-kappaB and LEF-1. Matrix Biol (3):161-5.
- Nawshad, A. (2008) Palatal seam disintegration: to die or not to die? That is no longer the question. Dev Dyn 10:2643-56.
- S. Ahmed, C. Liu and A. Nawshad (2007): Mechanisms of palatal epithelial seam disintegration by Transforming growth factor ß3 (TGFß3). Developmental Biology 309:193-207.
- S. Ahmed and A. Nawshad (2007): Complexity in interpretation of embryonic epithelial-mesenchymal transition in response to transforming growth factor-beta signaling. Cells Tissues Organs 185(1-3):131-45.
- A. Nawshad, D. Medici, C. Liu and E.D. Hay (2007): TGFß3 inhibits E-cadherin gene expression in palate medial-edge epithelial cells through a Smad2-Smad4-LEF1 transcription complex. J Cell Sci 120:1646-53.
- D. Lagamba, A. Nawshad and E.D. Hay (2005): Microarray analysis of gene expression during epithelial-mesenchymal transformation. Dev Dyn 234(1):132-142.
- A. Nawshad, D. LaGamba. A. Polad and E.D. Hay (2005) Transforming growth factor-ß signaling during epithelial-mesenchymal transformation: Implications for embryogenesis and tumor metastasis. Cells Tissues Organs179:11-23.
- A. Nawshad, D. LaGamba and E.D. Hay (2004): Transforming growth factor ß (TGFß) signaling in palatal growth and epithelial-mesenchymal transformation (EMT). Arch Oral Biol 49(9):675-689.
- A. Nawshad, D. Lagamba, B.R. Olsen and E.D. Hay (2004): Laser capture microdissection (LCM) for analysis of gene expression in specific tissues during embryonic epithelial-mesenchymal transformation. Dev Dyn 230(3):529-34.
- A. Nawshad and E.D. Hay (2003): TGFß3 upregulates LEF1 gene to induce epithelial mesenchymal transformation during mouse palate development. J Cell Biol 22;163(6):1291-1301.