Medical Student Education
Third year medical students may elect to spend one or two weeks in ENT. Each student is assigned to a resident.
M3 Surgical Rotation:
- Students should report to Dr. Chris Bingcang prior to rotation.
- Every Monday morning at 7 A.M., you are expected to attend the Head and Neck Tumor Board. Should the Tumor Board be canceled, students should request that the Department of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery offices page the chief resident.
- Please contact Vanessa Larson with any questions at 402-559-7005.
Fourth-year medical students may elect to spend an entire four-week period in otolaryngology, participating in medical and surgical activities, patient care and, if desired, research projects.
M4 Otolaryngology Clerkship:
- Monthly rotations
Student Limit: 4 at UNMC
1 or 2 at VA Hospital by arrangement
Semester Hours: 4
For information, call Vanessa Larson at 402-559-7005.
- The student is closely involved with all facets of otolaryngology. Evaluation of patients, diagnostic considerations, and management approaches are emphasized.
- The student participates in all activities of the department including clinical responsibilities, operations and formal teaching exercises.
- The student is expected to be present for both morning and evening rounds as well as all scheduled clinics and teaching conferences.
- Patient care and responsibility during the elective will depend upon the available material as well as the student's interest and initiative. If a student is interested in a specific case, he/she should tell the resident who will assist him/her in its evaluation.
- NOTE: One week of the clerkship may be spent at the VA ENT clinic and operating room with the other three weeks at UNMC
52-670 Off-Campus Elective:
- Periods offered: By arrangement
Student limits: By arrangement
Semester hours: 4
- The Student may choose to spend elective time in otolaryngology off-campus. Opportunities should be discussed and arranged with the approval of the otolaryngology staff.