Pediatric Feeding Disorders
985450 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5450
Bethany Hansen, PhD, BCBA-D, is the Associate Director of the Department of Pediatric Feeding and an Assistant Professor at the University of Nebraska Medical Center’s Munroe-Meyer Institute (MMI). She received a Bachelor of Science in Psychology from South Dakota State University. She completed her Masters of Science degree from Oklahoma State University in Educational Psychology and later earned a Doctorate of Psychology in School Psychology from Oklahoma State University. She completed her predoctoral internship at the Marcus Autism Center in Atlanta, Georgia where she gained clinical experience in early intervention for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and the assessment and treatment of pediatric feeding disorders. She completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the Marcus Autism Center under the mentorship of Dr. Alice Shillingsburg. Currently, she specializes in the assessment and treatment of pediatric feeding disorders.
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst-Doctorate Level, August 2014 to present
- PhD, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, 2014
- MS, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, 2010
- BS, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD, 2009
Special/Research Interests and Projects
- Pediatric Feeding Disorders
- Academic Interventions with Children with Autism
- Skill Acquisition with Children with Autism
Selected Publications (within the last 5 years)
- Hansen, B. A., Phipps, L. E., Andersen, A.S. Schissel, M.E., & Shillingsburg, M.A. (2023). A Feasibility Study of Headsprout Reading Program in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Reading Delay. Journal of Behavioral Education.
- Hansen, B. A., Phipps, L. E., Drayton, A. K., Demchuk, N. C., Knight, R. M., & Elson, L. A. (2023). Motivating children with feeding disorders to self‐feed: An evaluation of using differential reinforcement and manipulation of establishing operations to increase self‐feeding. Behavioral Interventions, 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1002/bin.1967
- Guerrero, L. A., Engler, C. W., Hansen, B. A., & Piazza, C. C. (2022). On the validity of interpreting functional analyses of inappropriate mealtime behavior using structured criteria. Journal of applied behavior analysis, 55(4), 1280-1293.
- Andersen, A. S., Hansen, B. A., & Peterson, K. M. (2021). An evaluation of trial-based functional analyses of inappropriate mealtime behavior. Journal of applied behavior analysis, 10.1002/jaba.888. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1002/jaba.888
- Andersen, A. S., Hansen, B. A., Hathaway, K. L., & Elson, L. A. (2021). A Demonstration of Caregiver-Implemented Functional Analysis of Inappropriate Mealtime Behavior via Telehealth. Behavior analysis in practice, 1-6.
- Hansen, B. A., & Andersen, A. S. (2020). Behavior-Analytic Treatment Progression for a Child With Tube Dependence: Reaching Age-Typical Feeding. Clinical case studies, 19(6), 403–417. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534650120950525
- Shillingsburg, M. A., Frampton, S. E., Schenk, Y. A., Bartlett, B. L., Thompson, T. M., & Hansen, B. (2020). Evaluation of a Treatment Package to Increase Mean Length of Utterances for Children with Autism. Behavior analysis in practice, 13(3), 659–673. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40617-020-00417-y
- Hansen, B., DeSouza, A. A., Stuart, A. L., & Alice Shillingsburg, M. (2018). Clinical Application of a High-Probability Sequence to Promote Compliance with Vocal Imitation in a Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Behavior analysis in practice, 12(1), 199–203. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40617-018-00280-y
- Frampton, S. E., Thompson, T. M., Bartlett, B. L., Hansen, B., & Shillingsburg, M. A. (2018). The use of matrix training to teach color-shape tacts to children with autism. Behavior Analysis in Practice, 11(26), https://doi.org/10.1007/s40617-018-00288-4.
- Shillingsburg, M. A., Hansen, B., & Wright, M. (2018). Rapport building and instructional fading prior to discrete trial instruction: Moving from child-led play to intensive teaching. Behavior modification, 0145445517751436.
- Landa, R. K., Hansen, B., & Alice Shillingsburg, M. (2017). Teaching mands for information using ‘when’ to children with autism. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 50(3), 538-551.
- Frampton, S. E., Wymer, S. C., Hansen, B., & Shillingsburg, M. A. (2016). The use of matrix training to promote generative language with children with autism. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 49(4), 869-883.
- Hansen, B., & Shillingsburg, M. A. (2016). Using a modified parent-child interaction therapy to increase vocalizations in children with autism. Child & Family Behavior Therapy, 38(4), 318-330.
- Association for Behavior Analysis International
- Outstanding Mentor of Graduate Students Award - University of Nebraska Medical Center (2023)