News and Events
When you participate in a community event, register for training presented by our faculty or staff, login to a virtual Grand Rounds, or extend our reach through social media, you help the Munroe-Meyer Institute (MMI) fulfill our mission of transforming the lives of all individuals with disabilities and complex health care needs.
We offer a variety of events open to the public that focus on topics of interest for people with disabilities.
"If you never did, you should. These things are fun. And fun is good." - Dr. Seuss
MMI hosts events throughout the year that are open to our friends, clients and colleagues.
Our providers cherish the opportunities these events provide for our teams to connect on a more personal level with our MMI family. They offer time for everyone to celebrate the individuality and uniqueness of our clients and staff alike and fulfill our need to connect with one another outside of clinic and work. We are stronger together.Annual events and celebrations hosted by MMI
- Autism Acceptance Month
- Down syndrome Awareness Day and Month
- Flamingo Flocking Fundraiser
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month
- Community Listening Tour
- Open House
The boards that support the Munroe-Meyer Institute host family-friendly events that raise funds for programs provided at MMI.
We treasure the opportunities these events provide for our board members to come together on a more personal level with our MMI family. They also offer time for everyone to celebrate the spirit and generosity of Omaha's volunteerism and philanthropy, the foundation of the great things happening in and around our community.View annual events hosted by our boards.
MMI Community Training
All Community Training events are individually included in our event calendar and usually advertised on social media. Most sessions provide a virtual option and are free to attend.Pop-Up Events
- Training events for parents, caregivers, people with disability and the community are scheduled regularly and presented by MMI department and program experts on topics including autism spectrum disorder (ASD), behavioral health and disability resources, MMI programs and supports... just to name a few.
- Scheduled on a more regular basis, these presentations are more focused for individuals with a disability, their families or caregivers or anyone with an interest in learning more about topics that directly impact people in the disability community.
- Browse all informational sessions and access recordings of previous trainings.
Training Events for ProfessionalsConferences
- Conferences, seminars and continuing education presented by MMI faculty and professional departmental staff are available for professionals, educators and caregivers. Registration is required with an associated cost and CEUs are generally available.
- These are individually included in our event calendar but you can browse all professional development/continuing education options.
- Grand Rounds, presented by visiting scientists and professionals from prestigious universities and institutions across the nation. These presentations are generally tailored towards a provider audience, but many times are open to the public.
MMI Monthly Newsletter
Published once a month, MMI Monthly is our email newsletter that highlights stories of interest concerning Munroe-Meyer Institute and the wider intellectual and developmental disability community. Each issue features stories about MMI initiatives and accomplishments, as well as links to articles of interest from other sources and a brief list of upcoming events.
Munroe-Meyer Institute on Social
MMI is committed to using our public presence to promote acceptance and inclusion for all people with and without disabilities and other complex health care needs. We invite our MMI family, and anyone with an interest, to become involved in these important conversations. Take the first step and follow us on social!
Caregivers Corner Facebook Group
MMI Caregivers Corner (join the group) provides information aligned with the mission of the UNMC (MMI) about community activities and events or education and training opportunities designed to assist caregivers of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
This group shares events that are hosted by other organizations and non-profits in our area who serve the disability community. While MMI may not be directly involved with these activities, we share them as a courtesy to our MMI family. The inclusion of events and links do not imply endorsement.
You can make a difference as a Munroe-Meyer Institute volunteer!
Volunteer opportunities are available to individuals, groups, schools or community organizations. MMI is a great option for corporate team-building events and for students to earn community service hours. Regardless of the reason, MMI is a place where people can work together on a project that impacts the local community.
Learn more about our volunteer program.