985450 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5450
Elizabeth Conover, MS, APRN, CGC, is double boarded as a genetic counselor and pediatric nurse practitioner. Her main area of interest is teratology (impact of exposures/medication during pregnancy and breast feeding), and she has taught a graduate teratology course for more than 15 years. She directs the Nebraska Teratogen Information Service (Nebraska Mother to Baby), and has been a board member of OTIS (the Organization of Teratology Information Specialists). Beth is currently working at the Children’s Hospital Cystic Fibrosis clinic and MHCP North Platte outstate clinic as a genetic counselor, and supervises students who rotate through those clinics. As genetic nurse practitioner, she also see patients in General Genetics Clinic, Down Syndrome Clinic, and the Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Clinic at UNMC. Beth reports that her favorite publication is, “The Art and Science of Teratogen Risk Communication”, which was the hardest to write!
- Diplomat American Board of Genetic Counseling
- Diplomat American Board of Medical Genetics
- Pediatric Nursing Certification Board- Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Genetic Counselor, State of Nebraska License
- Registered Nurse, State of Nebraska License
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, State of Nebraska License
- MSN, UNMC, Omaha NE, 2000
- MS, University of Wisconsin, Madison WI, 1985
- BSN, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH, 1978
- BS, Michigan State University, E. Lansing MI, 1976
- GENC 5181 Teratology (UAMS, Little Rock AR)
- Lecturer in graduate coursework for UNMC College of Pharmacy, College of Nursing, College of Medicine, and UNL Special Education.
Special Interests & Projects
- Safe use of medications in pregnant and breastfeeding women
- Effectively assessing and conveying risk
Selected Publications (within the last 5 years)
- Conover EA, Abdul Rahman O, Hoyme HE. Fetal Anticonvulsant Syndrome in Management of Genetic Syndromes 4th Edition, in press.
- Mitter D, Lutz RE, Conover E, Hauser NS, Grebe TA, Helbig KL, Lemke J. (et al). FOXG1 syndrome: genotype association in 83 patients with FOXG1 variants. Genet Med. 20:1, 2018.
- Conover EA. Teratogen Communication: Providing Information in a Way That Supports Informed Decision Making. Teratology Primer 3rd edition, 2018.
- Conover EA and Forinash AB. Weighing the Risks and Benefits of Taking an Antidepressant Medication During Pregnancy. Teratology Primer 3rd edition, 2018.
- Conover, EA, Jones KL: Safety Concerns Regarding Binge Drinking in Pregnancy: A Review. Birth Defects Research (Part A) 94:570-575, 2012.
- Conover, EA, Polifka, JE. The Art and Science of Teratogen Risk Communication. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 157:227-233, 2011.
- CDC: Expert consultant for “Treating for Two: Safe Medication Use in Pregnancy Initiative” (current)
- FDA Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee Member (current)
- Teratology Society (OTIS representative to Communication Committee)
- Organization of Teratogen Information Specialists (Board Member 1990-1993, 2003-2006, 2012-2015; Membership Chair 2012-2015, Co-chair OTIS Public Affairs Committee 2016-current)
- Accreditation Council for Genetic Counseling (Nominating Committee 2017-2018)
- National Society of Genetic Counselors (Board Member 1989-1991)
- American College of Medical Genetics
- MMI Standout Award (2018)
- UNMC "Silver U” Award (2015)
- JEMF Master Genetic Counselor (2010)
- OTIS Expert of the Month (2010)