985450 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5450
Gwen Reiser, MS, CGC, is a is a licensed and certified genetic counselor at the Munroe-Meyer Institute's Department of Genetic Medicine at UNMC where she has worked since 1989. During that time, she has served as a genetic counselor in multiple pediatric and prenatal clinics. More recently, she established the Hereditary Cancer Clinic and currently functions as lead genetic counselor. She currently provides cancer genetic counseling and testing services at the Fred and Pamela Buffett Cancer Center.
- State of Nebraska - Licensed Genetic Counselor
- American Board of Genetic Counseling, Charter Member
- American Board of Medical Genetics, Diplomat
- Familial Cancer Risk Assessment and Management Credential
- CITI Collaborative Institutional Training Institute
- DOT Biological Substance, Category B Certification
- MS in Medical Genetics, University of Wisconsin – Madison, Madison, WI, 1989
- BS in Biological Science, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, 1986
Gwen provides graduate level clinical training through her experience with curriculum development, teaching, and clinical rotation supervision of students and fellows. She has provided numerous local, regional and national guest lectures related to genetics and genetic counseling to healthcare providers, students, patients and families.
Research Interests and Projects
Gwen’s specialty area of interest is Cancer Genetics. Her research interest is the impact of genetic counseling in a clinical and research hereditary oncology setting. She is involved in the adult oncology specialties of Breast, GI, Gyn/Onc, and Endocrine tumors. She currently serves as a national representative for genetic counselors working in Pediatric Oncology.
- Hagelstrom R, Ford J, Reiser G, Nelson M, Pickering D, Althof P, Sanger G, Coccia P (2016) Breast Cancer and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in a Young Male with Cowden Syndrome, Pediatr Blood Cancer, Mar: 63(3) 544-6.
- Houfek J, Soltis-Vaughan BS, Atwood J, Reiser G, Schaefer GB (2014) Adults’ Perceptions of Genetic Counseling and Genetic Testing, Applied Nursing Research, 28(1): 25-30.
- Houfek J, Atwood R, Wolfe R, Agrawal S, Reiser G, Schaefer G (2007) Knowledge and Beliefs About Genetics and Smoking Among Visitors and Staff at a Health Care Facility, Public Health Nursing, 25(1): 77-87.
- Reiser G, Christiansen K, Lemon S, Schaefer G (2003) Genetic Counselor’s Role in an Employee-Based Breast Cancer Screening Program, Journal of Genetic Counseling, 12 (6): 484-5.
- Reiser G, Houfek J, Schaefer G, Atwood J, Rennard S (2000) Impact of Genetic Counseling Intervention in Smoker’s Perceptions of the Genetics of Smoking, Journal of Genetic Counseling, 9 (6): 499-500.
- National Society of Genetic Counselors
- NSGC Familial/Cancer Genetics Special Interest Group
- NSGC Cancer SIG Pediatric Oncology Subcommittee
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology, Genetic/Familial High Risk Assessment Breast and Ovarian Panel
- University of Nebraska 25 Years Anniversary (2014)
- UNMC Continuing Education Certification of Appreciation for Outstanding Presentations (2008)
- UNMC Silver U Award (2003)