985440 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5440
After a short stint as a high school biology teacher, Shelly found her calling in genetics. She joined the clinical genetics team at MMI in 2000 working as a genetic counselor in the prenatal and general genetics clinics. Shelly served as the project manager for the Nebraska Newborn Screening and Genetics State Planning Grant in 2001-2003. From 2004-2008, she was an adjunct instructor in the Mid-America Genetic Education Consortium (MAGEC), a joint program for Genetic Counselor training between UNMC, the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, the University of Kansas Medical Center, and the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. More recently, Shelly has focused her counseling efforts in the general genetics clinics at UNMC, Children’s Omaha, and across the state in the outreach clinics. She is honored to be a provider in the multidisciplinary UNMC Huntington Disease Center of Excellence clinic.
- American Board of Genetic Counseling - Certified Genetic Counselor
- State of Nebraska - Licensed Genetic Counselor
- MS, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, 2000
- MT, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 1993
- B.A., University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 1993
As part of the Mid-America Genetic Education Consortium, Shelly developed the teaching framework for distance education courses in Medical Genetics and Cytogenetics Review, Dysmorphology and Common Genetic Syndromes, and Prenatal Genetic Counseling. More recently, Shelly has been a clinical supervisor for students from outside genetic counseling programs.
Special Interests & Projects
- University of Nebraska Medical Center Huntington Disease Center of Excellence
- Prenatal diagnosis of congenital adrenal hyperplasia caused by P450 oxidoreductase deficiency. Reisch N, Idkowiak J, Hughes BA, Ivison HE, Abdul-Rahman OA, Hendon LG, Olney AH, Nielsen S, Harrison R, Blair EM, Dhir V, Krone N, Shackleton CH, Arlt W. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Mar;98(3):E528-36. doi: 10.1210/jc.2012-3449. Epub 2013 Jan 30. PMID:23365120
- Genotype-phenotype analysis in congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to P450 oxidoreductase deficiency. Krone N, Reisch N, Idkowiak J, Dhir V, Ivison HE, Hughes BA, Rose IT, O'Neil DM, Vijzelaar R, Smith MJ, MacDonald F, Cole TR, Adolphs N, Barton JS, Blair EM, Braddock SR, Collins F, Cragun DL, Dattani MT, Day R, Dougan S, Feist M, Gottschalk ME, Gregory JW, Haim M, Harrison R, Olney AH, Hauffa BP, Hindmarsh PC, Hopkin RJ, Jira PE, Kempers M, Kerstens MN, Khalifa MM, Köhler B, Maiter D, Nielsen S, O'Riordan SM, Roth CL, Shane KP, Silink M, Stikkelbroeck NM, Sweeney E, Szarras-Czapnik M, Waterson JR, Williamson L, Hartmann MF, Taylor NF, Wudy SA, Malunowicz EM, Shackleton CH, Arlt W. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Feb;97(2):E257-67. doi: 10.1210/jc.2011-0640. Epub 2011 Dec 7. PMID: 22162478
- National Society of Genetic Counseling
- American Board of Genetic Counseling