985450 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5450
Carol Gaebler has worked as a clinical speech-language pathologist at Munroe-Meyer Institute for Genetics and Rehabilitation within the University of Nebraska Medical Center since 1990. During that time, she has functioned as lead speech language pathologist, interim department director and currently serves as associate director of inpatient services for the speech pathology department. Carol’s areas of interest include progressive and neurogenic speech, language and swallowing disorders, tracheostomized and ventilator-dependent patients and clients with head & neck cancer. She has received grants through the Nebraska Medicine Guild to support communication aids for persons with Head & Neck Cancer as well as Expiratory Muscle Strength Training for H&N clients receiving chemo-radiation treatments. She also received a Speech Pathology Dept Development grant to fund a pilot program for a memory “boot camp”. Carol has participated in numerous research projects and has co-authored several publications in the areas of head & neck cancer and augmentative and alternative communication, as well as, dysphagia.
- Nebraska state licensed speech-language pathologist
- ASHA certificate of clinical competence
- Lee Silverman voice therapy certified
- McNeill dysphagia therapy program certification
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallow (FEES) certification
- University of Nebraska Medical Center management series certificate
MS in communication disorders, University of Texas, Dallas, TX, 1986
BS in speech-language pathology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, 1984
Carol provides yearly guest lectures related to medical speech pathology to Nebraska Medicine hospital staff, Creighton occupational therapy students and University of Nebraska-Omaha speech-language pathology graduate students. Carol provides supervision to graduate student medical interns and clinical fellows in both inpatient and outpatient service provision.
Special Interests & Projects
- Head & Neck Cancer
- Primary Progressive Aphasia
- Tracheostomized and Ventilated populations
- Memory Boot Camp
Gaebler, C , Robertson, B & Jeannie Hannan-Design Contributor. (July 2013) Assessing and Managing Swallowing Issues: An Interprofessional Approach. Portal of Online Geriatric Education (POGOe).
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Special Interest Group -13
- Nebraska Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- University of Nebraska Medical Center Gold U award 2015
- University of Nebraska Medical Center Silver U award 2010