Dr. Buesing and her research team focus their investigations on lung pathology secondary to inhalation injury and potential novel therapeutic strategies. Dr. Buesing’s interest in the deleterious effects of isolated smoke inhalation originated from her prior experience as an EMT and Firefighter, and has since expanded to include countermeasures targeted to inhalational bioterrorism agents through her work with the National Strategic Research Institute (NSRI) and DoD contracting agencies.
Since 2014, Dr. Buesing and her team have collaborated in a multi-institution, multi-disciplinary investigation of acute lung injury and novel treatment strategies to bypass the failing pulmonary system. Dr. Buesing has led this effort through three Department of Defense-sponsored contracts studying the efficacy of oxygen microbubbles (OMBs) for severe hypoxia. Utilizing body cavities such as the abdomen and intestine, Dr. Buesing and her team have shown that OMB therapy augments systemic oxygen levels independent of the lungs. Currently, OMB therapy is poised to undergo pre-clinical safety testing in humans and eventual Phase I FDA trials.
Dr. Buesing in the news:
- Leiphrakpam PD, Weber HR, McCain A, Matas RR, Duarte EM, Buesing KL. A novel large animal model of smoke inhalation-induced acute respiratory distress syndrome. Respir Res. 2021 Jul 7;22(1):198.
- Leiphrakpam PD, Weber HR, Ogun T, Buesing KL. Rat model of smoke inhalation-induced acute lung injury. BMJ Open Respir Res. 2021 Jul;8(1):e000879.
- Wankum BP, Reynolds RE, McCain AR, Zollinger NT, Buesing KL, Sindelar RD, Freihaut FM, Fekadu T, Terry BS. Development of a multi-patient ventilator circuit with validation in an ARDS porcine model. J Anesth. 2021 Aug;35(4):543-554.
- Fiala A, Slagle C, Legband N, Aghabaglou F, Buesing K, Borden M, Harris S, Terry B. Treatment of a rat model of LPS-induced ARDS via peritoneal perfusion of oxygen microbubbles. J Surg Res. 2020 Feb;246:450-456.
- Legband N, Hatoum L, Thomas A, Kreikemeier-Bower C, Hostetler D, Buesing K, Borden M, Terry B. Peritoneal membrane oxygenation therapy for rats with acute respiratory distress syndrome. J Med Device. 2016 Jun 1;10(2):020905.
- Legband N, Buesing K, Borden M, Terry B. The treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome in rats with a peritoneal dosing system. J Med Device. 2015 June 1;9(2):020929.