Following the University of Nebraska Medical Center and Nebraska Medicine’s mission to lead the world in transforming lives to create a healthy future for all individuals and communities through premier educational programs, innovative research and extraordinary patient care. The Department of Dermatology offers Observership opportunities for individuals who meet the following criteria:
- Observership is defined as:
- an Allopathic or Osteopathic Medical Graduate
- an International Medical Graduate
- not applying for a rotation through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunity Program (VSLO)
- The observer must apply for Observership. No doctor or employee may grant an Observership independently or privately.
- Applications will be reviewed by and selected by the department Medical Director and Education Committee and/or Chair of the Department.
- Observer will be responsible for housing, food, transportation, insurance and sponsorship, if applicable and any other expenses incurred during the Observership. No salary is provided for Observership.
- Observer will comply with all Nebraska Medicine stated requirements prior to beginning Observership. See Appendix A
- Observer agrees to be supervised at all times when observing direct or indirect patient care.
- Observer understands there will be no access to Nebraska Medicine Patient Records nor any other records.
- Observer will be limited to observation only and will have no direct patient interactions nor delivery of patient care.
- Observer understands that opportunities are limited and that if selected, must complete Observership when scheduled. Re-scheduling may or may not be an option.
- Attendance during scheduled Observership is expected and the responsibility of the observer.
- Observership shall be four (4) continuous weeks in duration, the same as Resident rotations.
- Fee in the amount of $850, payable by check, will be collected prior to the start of the Observership. No grade will be given for completing Observership. Observer may request a letter of recommendation and may receive a certificate of completion.
- Observer may choose to attend lunch conferences and other didactic activities, as time permits.
- The UNMC Department of Dermatology and Nebraska Medicine reserve the right to terminate the Observership at any time.
- Observer shall have command of the English language to include being able to express and receive complex medical conversations. The Observer may choose to provide an interpreter at the Observer's own expense.
- UNMC and the Department of Dermatology reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.
The Department of Dermatology offers shadowing opportunities for individuals who meet the following criteria: Shadowers in the Department of Dermatology are required to be 16 years old or older and have an interest in the field of dermatology; shadowing is for the primary purpose of career exploration.
- The Shadower must complete the online application and training required by Nebraska Medicine at email@example.com
- After completing the application and training, the applicant must contact the Department of Dermatology representative responsible for scheduling Shadowers, letting that person know their availability to shadow. For security purposes, the department will not honor “drop-ins.”
- Shadower will complete a brief questionnaire about their level of training to date and their interest in the field of dermatology.
- Due to the large volume of requests and the need to accommodate other learners, availability for Shadowers may be limited.
- Shadower may be informed there could be a 2 to 3 month wait before being scheduled.
- Shadower must comply with all Nebraska Medicine requirements prior to attending their job shadowing experience.
- The Shadower will be sent information regarding instructions for their shadowing experience. This will include date, time, doctor they will be shadowing, location of shadowing site and other instructions generated from the Nebraska Medicine Job Shadowing Office or the UNMC Department of Dermatology.
- Shadowers will follow and observe the medical provider for a duration of 2 or 4 hours. There will be no compensation for shadowing nor will the Shadower provide patient care.
- Shadowers are required to wear an ID badge during their shadowing experience. This badge will be supplied by Nebraska Medicine or the UNMC Department of Dermatology. ID badge will be turned in at the conclusion of Shadowing.
- In order to provide the best possible environment for patients, Shadower agrees to conduct themselves in a manner befitting a medical professional in a clinic setting. Nebraska Medicine may instruct the Shadower to leave if Shadower's behavior is determined to be outside of the norm of a medical provider.
- The UNMC Department of Dermatology reserves the right to update this policy at any time.
Immunizations: Paperwork attesting to the current status of the following immunizations is required:
- DPT/TDaP (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus)
- Influenza (Flu Shot)
- Hepatitis B Inactivated Poliovius (Polio Vaccine)
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
- Varicella (Chicken Pox)
- Proof of PPD Skin Test. Observer must show proof of a PPD within the last 12 months
- No jeans or sweatpants
- No tank tops or bare midriffs
- No baggy clothing or clothing that drags on the floor
- No exposed undergarments
- No scrubs or lab coats
- No sandals or flip flops (shoes must be close toed)
- No dangling jewelry
- No ball caps or hats
- Body piercings and tattoos should be covered
- Long hair should be secured by a pony-tail or barrette
Computer-based Learning Modules:
Observer must satisfactorily complete all computer-based learning modules provided by UNMC and/or Nebraska Medicine before starting their Observership.
Observer agrees to wear the UNMC or Nebraska Medicine issued ID badge at all times while on campus or at a site. Badge is to be returned at the end of the Observership. Unreturned or damaged ID badges will be assessed a fine of $25.00.
Please leave the following in a secure place prior to Shadowing:
- PurseoCell phone (use of not permitted while Shadowing)
- Large amounts of cash