ACGME RESIDENCY IN DERMATOLOGY
The Department of Dermatology is dedicated to training the next generation of dermatologists. We have an ACGME-accredited 3-year residency program in dermatology (PGY2-PGY4) following completion of a clinical internship (PGY-1). Our faculty come from some of the best training programs in the country including Stanford, Duke, Cornell, Yale, Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU), University of Southern California, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Miami to name a few. We are proud to unite our collective educational experiences to create a unique training environment for resident physicians!
The mission of the UNMC Dermatology Residency Program is to provide a comprehensive educational experience and foundation in dermatology. Our core focus is the development of future leaders in dermatology and in their chosen medical communities. UNMC Dermatology is firmly committed to a focus on education and mentorship. We are guided by compassionate and leading-edge patient care with a team-based approach. We strive to serve our urban and surrounding rural communities as well as other underserved populations both locally and abroad. We aim to instill curiosity and a sense of innovation in research, quality improvement, and forward thinking solutions for the healthcare delivery of tomorrow.
Highlights of our UNMC Dermatology Residency Program:
Passionate faculty dedicated to training residents
Diverse sites of care: University, community, VA, Childrens, rural/teledermatology, and more!
Residents play an active role in program evolution and governance
3 months of elective -- build the foundation for YOUR career
10 hours of protected faculty-led didactic time per week
Learn at your own pace -- all of our lectures are RECORDED so that you can re-watch them and study at any time!
Personalized and formalized mentorship programs for residents -- residents select both personal and professional mentors.
Resident ownership over continuity clinics (patients are scheduled with the resident as the primary physician with opportunities to specialize/focus patient panel PGY3/4 years)
Wonderful mix of general dermatology and specialty/sub-specialty clinics
Multidisciplinary programs in CTCL/cutaneous oncology, high-risk cancer, ID/HIV dermatology, transplant dermatology, rheum-derm, autoimmune bullous/blistering disease clinics and more!
Strong and early comprehensive dermatologic surgery experience (excisions, Mohs, laser/aesthetics, veins, hair, etc.)
Hands-on workshops and training sessions from day #1!
Our specific program aims include to:
- Graduate residents who are well trained in all aspects of dermatology such that they are competent to either enter independent practice, or, if interested, proceed to fellowship training of their choice.
- Mentor and develop future leaders in our specialty and in their respective medical communities.
- Prepare residents to contribute to the field of dermatology through ongoing mentoring and by fostering their interest in presentations at national or regional meetings, clinical or basic research, clinical trials, or publication in peer reviewed journals or texts.
- Graduate residents who will serve as life-long learners through continuing medical education and educators of patients, students and colleagues.
- Instill curiosity and a sense of innovation in dermatology.
- Create a team-based culture and train residents on leadership and management of multidisciplinary programs in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Develop professionals who can critically review literature and use this information to practice the best “evidence-based” medicine.
- Highlight the importance of service in underserved areas through exposure to rural and urban health, international dermatology, teledermatology rotations and departmental outreach events.