Welcome to the UNMC Nephrology Fellowship Program!
Our fellowship program offers two positions annually with a goal to provide a fellow-centered supportive learning environment, exceptional clinical care to patients with kidney disease, and create an atmosphere where trainees today develop into the leaders of tomorrow.
Fellows at UNMC are exposed to a broad clinical experience covering all aspects of inpatient and outpatient nephrology. Our dedicated faculty strive to provide unparalleled training to prepare fellows to excel in their future careers, whether that be in private practice or academia. An emphasis is placed on both personal and professional development, with the schedule and curriculum designed to promote work/life balance. Our innovative curriculum offers a great deal of flexibility during the second fellowship year in order to tailor the curriculum to the specific interests of the fellow. This flexibility allows fellows to further explore areas in which they may have a particular interest, whether that be interventional nephrology, critical care nephrology, transplantation, research, education, or other areas of their choosing. Trainees also have ample opportunities to participate in mentored research or quality improvement projects.
Fellows provide consultative care and receive training and education at the nationally renowned Nebraska Medical Center, a 650+ bed tertiary referral center, as well as the Omaha Veteran’s Affairs (VA) Medical Center. The Division of Nephrology directs 5 outpatient dialysis units in the Omaha metro area caring for a large population of chronic dialysis patients, including a high number of patients receiving peritoneal dialysis or home hemodialysis. The Nebraska Medical Center has a storied history and strong reputation in the area of kidney-pancreas transplantation, and our nephrology fellows are thoroughly integrated into the kidney transplant service.
Thank you for your interest in the UNMC Nephrology Fellowship program. We welcome you to explore all of the opportunities our program has to offer. Please contact us with any questions.
- Nationally recognized academic referral center
- Innovative and flexible curriculum
- Dedicated faculty and mentorship
- Enriched transplant experience
- Extensive opportunities in Interventional Nephrology
- Integrated outpatient dialysis curriculum
- Opportunity for combined nephrology-critical care fellowship
- Emphasis on work-life balance with 3 out of 4 weekends free from all clinical duties
- Outpatient and Inpatient VA experience
- Funding for registration, travel and lodging to attend national conferences during first and second year
- Large home dialysis population
- Thriving city with excellent cost of living
- Wide breadth or research/QI opportunities
- Established POCUS curriculum