State Disability Leadership Seminar
About the event
The Munroe-Meyer Institute’s Nebraska Statewide Disability Leadership Training Seminar is a series of community trainings across the state involving Nebraska disability leaders from a variety of agency partners who promote leadership and advocacy skills for persons with disabilities, family members and concerned citizens.
In the past this has been an in-person event, but will be delivered virtually as online presentations because of the current public health pandemic.
This activity is a partnership between the Munroe-Meyer Institute University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDD) and the State Developmental Disabilities Planning Council.
This seminar is designed for
Persons with disabilities, family members, concerned citizens and professionals who are interested in promoting the best outcomes for individuals with disabilities and their families in Nebraska.
The event focuses on
Leadership and advocacy training regarding systems of services and supports to individuals with disabilities and their families, including philosophy, current systems, opportunities for leadership, systems change strategies and planning. The focus of the training is centered around the lived experience of individuals with intellectual disabilities.
Seminar participants receive
Support at the seminar and beyond on developing advocacy plans, building and supporting state and local coalitions with the goal of improving services and systems for individuals with disabilities.
Past event speakers include
- Brad Meurrens public policy director, Disability Rights Nebraska
- Edison McDonald executive director, Arc of Nebraska
- Eric Evans, PhD executive director, Disability Rights Nebraska
- Janet Miller adult services associate, UNMC Munroe-Meyer Institute
- Jenn Miller outreach coordinator, PTI-Nebraska
- Jennifer Hansen parent resource coordinator, UNMC Munroe-Meyer Institute
- Kathy Hoell director, Statewide Independent Living Council
- Mark Smith assistant professor, UNMC Munroe-Meyer Institute
- Mary Angus support coordinator, UNMC Munroe-Meyer Institute
Please check back
We are currently working on the next great seminar and registration details will be posted here once available.
Other training opportunities
In addition to opportunities available through MMI, other state disability leadership training opportunities are available to parents and caregivers.
Please contact us with questions about this training or to request help registering.