Flamingo Flocking for Developmental Disabilities Awareness
The Flamingo Flocking Fundraiser was created by the UNMC Munroe-Meyer Institute (MMI) and benefits the UNMC Student Alliance for People of All Abilities (SAPA). This fundraiser supports the inclusion of people with developmental disabilities in all areas of community life and brings awareness to the barriers that people with disabilities still sometimes face in connecting to the communities in which they live.
For a small donation, our highly skilled, trained technicians place pink flamingos on front lawns to rest for 2-4 days until they mysteriously migrate to another location. The birds come with a sign that says, 'You've been flocked for Developmental Disabilities Awareness' and an instruction sheet about what to do if recipients want to 'pay it forward'.
This flocking is done in good spirits, so thank you for your support and sense of humor. You do not have to be flocked before you can order a flocking so sign up to flock your family, friends, neighbors and colleagues and we'll schedule your flocking as soon as possible.
Only highly skilled, professionally trained Removal Technicians should attempt removal of flamingo flocks. Fortunately, we have the best in town!
Funds raised support UNMC SAPA initiatives that advance disability awareness and inclusion.
Were you flocked?
Congratulations! You've Been Flocked [view the PDF flyer]
Share the fun and spread awareness! Post a photo of your flocking on social media and tag us.
Advocacy Tip: Do make your post public and include these hashtags: #IveBeenFlocked #DDawareness #unmcMMI #unmcSAPA
Safety Tip: Don’t include personal identifiers in the photo (your address/house number or license plates).
So, what now?
There are several options for you to choose how little or how much you want to participate. Simply notify MMI’s Community Engagement Office of your choice(s) and we’ll take care of the rest!For instance, you might say …
- I appreciate the flocking but am not able to donate at this time - come get the birds please.
- I would like to make a $20 donation to remove the flock - let them land where they do.
- I would like to make a $30 donation to remove the flock - and relocate them to a location of my choice. (Don’t worry, you have the option to remain anonymous.)
- You can also say… I would like to make a donation of $30 for flocking insurance, to protect my lawn from more flocking!
Orders and Payment
Complete the order form and follow the instructions below to submit your order and pay for the flocking.
- Submit and confirm orders: Email Jackie Hankins or call 402-552-6564
- Payments accepted: Cash, credit card or check (payable to Munroe-Meyer Institute)
- Submit payment by:
- Mail to - UNMC Munroe-Meyer Institute, Community Engagement / Jackie Hankins; 985450 Nebraska Medical Center; Omaha, NE 68198-5450
- Hand-deliver to - MMI, Scott Campus; 6902 Pine Street; Omaha, NE 68106
Thank you for your support and advocacy for Developmental Disabilities Awareness!
For more information, email our Community Engagement department.
Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month is celebrated each March on a national level to raise awareness for the inclusion of people with developmental disabilities. Learn more.