UNMC College of Dentistry Dental Hygiene Program
Length of Program: 2 years
Application Opens: October 15
Application Deadline: February 1
Start Date: August
Class Size: 24
Degree Awarded: BS
Locations: Lincoln, Nebraska and Gering, Nebraska
The UNMC College of Dentistry Dental Hygiene Program is fully accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. Completion of our Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene fulfills educational requirements for eligibility for licensure examinations, which ultimately leads to licensure in all US states and territories.
The curriculum is organized into a four-year program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene. Preparation for admission to the dental hygiene program consists of approximately two academic years of study and this course work must be completed at any accredited college.
After selection into the dental hygiene program, the next two academic years and one summer session are spent at the College of Dentistry in Lincoln, Nebraska, or the West Division campus in Gering, Nebraska.
Why study dental hygiene?
Dental hygienists experience the satisfaction, privilege and joy of building relationships with their patients and helping them lead healthier lives by protecting their oral health. Dental hygiene is a rewarding and challenging career that offers a wealth of benefits, including competitive salaries, educating patients about the importance of oral health, working as part of a team, and helping to eliminate oral health disparities. The need for new dental hygienists is rapidly increasing; the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment of dental hygienists will grow nearly 20% by 2026.
Why the UNMC College of Dentistry Dental Hygiene Program?
- Small class sizes & faculty-to-student ratios - Our students thrive in our close-knit, supportive environment receiving personalized guidance from our outstanding faculty members who go above and beyond to help students succeed.
- Exceptional patient care model for hands-on learning - We have created a highly effective clinical model that closely resembles providing comprehensive care within a private practice. Dental hygiene students work alongside dental students to provide patients with all the care they need. Working in a multidisciplinary team provides a unique learning experience, promotes a sense of teamwork and helps students build relationships with their patients.
- Hands-on learning through community outreach - Our many community outreach programs allow students to volunteer their time and talents to provide services to underserved populations. Students have memorable, rewarding experiences helping those in need while they practice their clinical and communication skills.
- Student-lead research projects - Our students lead cutting-edge, award-winning research projects with guidance from our faculty. Students have opportunities to present their research findings at national meetings and many receive top honors for their work.
- Student organizations and leadership opportunities - Our many student organizations offer students a variety of local, regional and national professional development and social activities, as well as opportunities to take on local, regional and national leadership roles.
- Student scholarships - Each year, UNMC dental hygiene students typically receive over $130,000 in scholarships.
Core Topics Covered
Clinical Techniques, Clinical Dental Radiology, Community Dental Health, Dental Anatomy, Dental Materials, Oral Pathology, Research Methodology, Sedation
Skills Students Develop
Critical thinking and problem-solving, oral health assessments and preventative treatment planning, clinical hand skills and techniques, patient communication, research and sedation.
Private Practice (working with general dentists and dental specialists), Public Health (public health agencies, community health clinics and schools), Research, Teaching