University of Nebraska Medical Center

H-1B Employees


H-1B-sponsored employees have a six-year limit of continuous H-1B status.

Moving to a new sponsor does not extend this limit. Departing the U.S. for one year restarts the six-year limit.

H-1B-sponsored employees who travel abroad should take a copy of the entire H-1B approval and a short letter from the hiring department to verify current employment and to attest that employment is expected to continue upon the return of the employee.

If a new H-1B visa is required before re-entering the US, the H-1B-sponsored employee should arrange to come to this office to check out the original employer’s H-1B approval notice. Although the Form I-797 approval notice states that the employer should retain the top portion of the form, visa officers at U.S. consulates occasionally request to see the original. In addition to retrieving the I-797 (H-1B approval notice) from the Office of Global Engagement, the employee also should ask for a copy of the I-129 application and the Labor Condition Application.

Under a regulation called "automatic revalidation," an H-1B-sponsored employee may re-enter the U.S. with an expired H-1B visa after a trip solely to Canada or Mexico that lasted 30 days or less.

If the H-1B employee has changed employers since first entering the United States and has a valid visa annotated for the previous employer, the employee may re-enter the U.S. using that visa, provided he or she presents a valid I-797 H-1B approval notice for the new employer when entering the US.


Family Members, Guests of H-1B Employees