University of Nebraska Medical Center

H-1B Sponsorship

The H-1B visa is employer-sponsored. Therefore, it is the employer, not the applicant, who decides to pursue this status for an employee. The employer must receive approvals from the U.S. departments of Labor and Homeland Security. If approval to sponsor a new or current employee for H-1B status is granted, the sponsored employee’s visa status is changed to H-1B.

See information for current H-1B employees.

Our office handles H-1B sponsorship for both UNMC and the University of Nebraska Omaha. The process of H-1B sponsorship begins when the hiring department submits a department request to our office.

To be eligible for H-1B sponsorship, a position must have a job title requiring a minimum of a bachelor's degree. For the employer, the US Department of Labor must also approve the offered salary. 

H-1B approvals are position, salary, and employer-specific. Changes in any of these categories after the H-1B has been approved often necessitate a new H-1B petition.

New H-1B's cost $960 and H-1B extensions cost $460.

The approval can be granted for a maximum of three years and can be extended for another three years. House Officers generally are approved for H-1B status in one-year increments because Temporary Education Permits are valid for one year.

The procedure for extending H-1B status is identical to new H-1B status, subsequent H-1B status, and an amended H-1B status due to a change in employment.

The hiring unit will need to complete a form to show salary information on current employees within the unit who have similar job titles or job descriptions. The Office of Global Engagement will provide a form for this purpose.

The hiring unit must agree to pay return airfare for the applicant and any H-4 dependents to the applicant's home country if the department terminates the employment before the H-1B approval expires. This stipulation is not required in the case of voluntary termination.

The entire application process for H-1B sponsorship currently takes nine months. This can be changed to five weeks with premium processing at an additional cost of $2,500. A prospective employee who already has H-1B status may begin employment at UNMC as soon as the H-1B petition is received by U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services.

Hiring departments are charged a preparation fee for each H-1B petition. The fee for a new H-1B is $850 for UNO departments. These charges are to be paid by the hiring department, not the employee. The optional premium processing fee of $2,500 may be paid by the hiring department or the employee.

Other government agencies involved with the process are the Nebraska Department of Labor and the U.S. Department of Labor.

Complete the H-1B Sponsorship form to begin the application process.

An OES/SOC occupation code is required when completing a department request for H-1B Sponsorship. This pdf explains how to determine the code.