O-1, TN, and B Visa Categories

O-1 Status 

For individuals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, arts, or athletics. O-1 status allows employment for an initial term of up 3 years, and can be annually extended in perpetuity.

To qualify, an individual must provide evidence of:

  1. Receipt of a major internationally-recognized award, such as the Nobel Prize; OR
  2. At least three of the following:

Dependents of an O-1 may apply for an O-3 visa. An O-3 may not be employed but may register for classes. O-3 status is valid for as long as the O-1 status is valid.

TN Status 

This status permits Canadian and Mexican citizens to be employed in the United States as a professional in academic fields defined by NAFTA.

The TN non-immigrant can enter the U.S. for up to 3 years at a time and renew status in perpetuity.

TN status is employment-specific, so the visa holder can work only for UNMC, and 100% of the salary must be paid by UNMC.

For more information on TN status, visit the U.S. Department of State.

B1/B2 Visa

B-1: for short-term (<90 days) business visits to participate in scientific, professional, or business meetings; or to do independent research.

B-2: a short-term (<90 days) visa used for tourism, visiting family and friends, or medical treatment.
Not for visitors participating in any business or professional activity, including students or longer-term scholars.

Back to the Top