Events & Updates
January 29, 2021: John S. Davis, PhD, Director of Research and Development at the Olson Center for Women's Health, has been named one of fifteen scientists world-wide to receive the inaugural Distinguished Fellow award from the Society for the Study of Reproduction (SSR).
According to the SSR Awards and Scholarships 2021 Fellows webpage, the criteria for this award is:
Distinguished Fellowship criteria include publishing a significant body of research in reproductive biology with transformative and enduring impact in the field, and 15 years of uninterrupted regular membership in SSR. Distinguished Fellows must also have a strong academic legacy with mentorship, as well as demonstrating leadership and service to SSR.
Congratulations to Dr. Davis on this prestigious award!
January 29, 2021: From Carl V. Smith, MD, Dept. of Ob/Gyn Chair
I would like to announce some leadership changes within the department of Ob/Gyn and the Olson Center:
- Sonja Kinney is resigning, with an effective date yet to be determined, but likely in the late March / April timeframe. She will be moving to the east coast to re-join her family. Dr. Kinney has been an exceptional clinician, educator, and leader in our department for a number of years, starting here initially in 2001. In addition to Director of the Division of General Ob/Gyn, she’s also been our Medical Director for the Olson clinics, the medical liaison for the midwifery program, and a OneChart Physician Leader. On top of a very busy clinical practice, Dr. Kinney also found time to be Nebraska Medicine’s Medical Director for Access. We know that Dr. Kinney will be successful in all that she undertakes, and we wish her all the best in her future endeavors. I want to publicly thank her for her significant contribution to our department’s success over the past 20 years!
- In order to fill those leadership positions vacated by Dr. Kinney, we have confirmation of the following new appointments:
- Medical Director of the Olson Clinics, and Division Director-General Obstetrics and Gynecology: Dr. Jennifer Griffin will take the reins for both of these roles.
- Residency Program Director: Dr. Laura Cudzilo has agreed to take this important role, succeeding Dr. Griffin.
- Clerkship Director: Dr. Amie Hollard will take over for Dr. Cudzilo.
- Midwife Medical Director: Dr. Karen Carlson has agreed to take on this role.
- We have created a new position within the department: Vice-Chair for Education. Exact duties and responsibilities for this new position are still a work-in-progress, so more to follow on that.
Dr. Karen Carlson has agreed to be the inaugural holder of this new leadership position. She has several years of leadership involvement with our medical student programs, and as clerkship director helped completely transform our student evaluation ratings. She also was a College of Medicine leader in designing and implementing sweeping curriculum change over the past few years.
I wish to thank these four doctors for agreeing to take on these new roles, and appreciate everyone’s cooperation as we transition over the next few months!