Become a Munroe-Meyer Institute Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Munroe-Meyer Institute. Whether you are volunteering to explore career interests, offer service to the community, use professional skills, expand your circle of friends or to make a difference in the lives of others, volunteerism greatly benefits our patient experience and community engagement.
Volunteer as an Individual
Individual volunteer opportunities are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Individuals may also volunteer at special events held throughout the year on evenings and weekends.
Criteria for individuals to become a volunteer:
- You must be at least 16 years old
- Drug screen and criminal background check (by UNMC)
- Make an initial six-month commitment to volunteer
The following volunteer opportunities are available:
- Clean and organize, observation rooms, toys and other materials
- Be a welcoming presence to guests on the Munroe-Meyer Institute campus and help navigate patients and visitors through the facility
- Assist in making speech stimuli cards for therapy sessions
- Assist with food preparation
- Assist with assessments and treatment sessions
- Set up and break down rooms for meetings and events
- Data collection and inventory management
- General office assistance: make copies, laminate, update patient information files, sort and deliver mail
- New roles will be available in MMI's new building scheduled to open in 2021
- Volunteer opportunities are also available in MMI's Department of Recreational Therapy; contact them directly
To apply: Submit this application
- The application and pre-registration process takes one to two weeks. Once complete, you will be notified by email of your enrollment in our volunteer program and provided with an orientation class schedule. Individual volunteers are required to complete a 1-hour orientation class prior to volunteering. These are offered at various times each month and take place at the Munroe-Meyer Institute.
- During orientation, volunteers will complete the following: General introduction to our services and a tour of the Munroe-Meyer Institute; Meet with departmental representatives to discuss volunteer opportunities; Obtain a UNMC/MMI photo identification badge.
Volunteer as a Group, School or Community Organization
Opportunities for groups, schools and community organizations are available upon request. These events are best suited for groups of 10-15 people or fewer and are typically held during our normal business hours; however, alternate arrangements may be possible.
Be a part of our most popular and exclusive annual events! The Munroe-Meyer Institute hosts a variety of special events, from Autism Awareness Month in April to Trunk-or-Treat at Halloween. Volunteer roles may include assisting in event planning, guest registration, event set up and/or tear down or lending a hand during the event.
Special event opportunities are available for individuals or groups. These events are a great opportunity for students to receive community service hours and corporate teams and other groups to work together on a project that impacts the local community.
Contact us directly to sign-up for one of our special events or to get your name on the volunteer on-call list.
Contact us: email | 402-552-6364