UNMC Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) Opportunities at MMI
The MMI SURP provides undergraduate students with an immersive summer research experience in one of MMI’s clinical research labs. Students obtain first-hand experience by becoming part of the research team and having a dedicated mentor. MMI also provides accepted students with professional development opportunities, weekly educational activities at MMI and several team-building activities across the summer. All positions include a $6,000 stipend for the summer.
We are looking for applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and interests who want to be part of an inclusive and cooperative research environment.Required documents:
- Personal Statement
- Unofficial Transcript
- 2 letters of recommendation
Application deadline: February 1, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. CST
Katelyn Kelley | Send email
MMI SURP Coordinator
Summer 2022 MMI SURP students. From Left: Toluwa Davies, Maggie Kramer, Jessica Stump, Katelyn Malick, Carter Welch, and Chethana Deeduvanu.
Research Opportunities | Summer 2023
Department: Physical TherapyProgram: Play Lab
- Project Lead: Dr. Baraldi Cunha
- Project Description: The Play Lab focus on designing and testing play-based interventions and technologies to improve function, activity, and participation in children with motor delays. The SURP summer intern will help with understanding and implementing the use of modified ride-on toy cars in children’s environment.
Department: integrated Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders (iCASD)
- Project Lead: Dr. Halbur and Dr. Carroll
- Project Description: The Autism Care for Toddlers (ACT) Clinics are community outreach programs. The clinics provide early intervention services using applied behavior analysis (ABA) to children 2 to 6 years old. The research team investigates components of early behavioral intervention and treatment team member (i.e., caregiver, staff) involvement in behavior analytic service delivery. The SURP summer intern will assist with ongoing projects including data collection, graphing and analyzing data and preparing for sessions.
Department: integrated Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders (iCASD)Program: Early Intervention
- Project Lead: Dr. Rey
- Project Description: Early Intervention provides comprehensive treatment services for children with an autism spectrum disorder. The SURP summer intern will help Dr. Rey with evaluating the effectiveness of efficiency of interventions for teaching children with autism.
Department: Pediatric Feeding
- Project Leads: Dr. Phipps and Dr. Knight
- Project Description: The Pediatric Feeding department teaches young children with medical and developmental challenges how to eat. Our team has been collecting data on treatment outcomes. The SURP summer intern will work with this team to organize and analyze our treatment outcome data in order to determine how best to help our patients.
Department: Severe Behavior
- Project Leads: Dr. Fahmie, Dr. Zangrillo, and Dr. Livingston
- Project Description: In the Severe Behavior department, the SURP student will assist with several ongoing studies related to the assessment and treatment of severe challenging behavior in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. They will gain hands-on and supervised experience conducting literature reviews, collecting real-time and retrospective behavioral data, making graphs, analyzing data, and participating in a weekly research lab meeting.
Program: Emotional Neuroscience Lab
- Program: Blackford Lab
- Project Lead: Dr. Blackford
- Project Description: The Emotional Neuroscience Lab focuses on the brain circuits that underlie anxiety. The SURP summer intern will be helping with neuroimaging studies with either kids with anxiety, adults with an alcohol use disorder, or adolescents with autism.