The University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) and affiliated hospital, Nebraska Medicine, comprise the Medical Center campus which is located in central Omaha, Nebraska. UNMC, which is the sponsoring institution, is an academic health center with a full-service clinical microbiology laboratory associated with the hospital. The surgical pathology division at the Nebraska Medical Center accessions more than 40,000 specimens with a wide range of neoplastic and non-neoplastic pathology. The 32 pathologists on staff have a wide variety of subspecialty expertise to enhance further the fellow's training. The Nebraska Medical Center is a world-renowned transplant center and the Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases is one of only a few in the country that holds the NCI Designation Cancer Center. There is also full access to state-of-the-art facilities in molecular and ultrastructural techniques.
Being part of such a growing and innovative campus, we can offer our house officers with state-of-the-art facilities and resources. We have a modern gross room that incorporates high tech equipment and skilled technical staff. In our department alone, we have twenty-three primary research laboratories, lead ten shared resource cores across campus, and direct two University of Nebraska-designated research centers. In addition to the departmental library, the McGoogan Health Sciences Library on campus has over 175,000 books and 2,400 journals. These facilities and resources are available for all of our fellows to provide them with a varied and extensive training experience.
We annually processes approximately 45,000 surgical specimens, 15,000 cytology specimens, 190 autopsies, 1,400 bone marrow biopsies and over 5 million clinical laboratory tests.
Our department offers a wide array of resources that facilitate fellowship training. Examples include:
- Centralized training – nearly all rotations occur on the UNMC campus
- State of the art gross room
- Reading rooms for individual and group diagnosis
- Easy access to gross & microscopic photographic equipment
- Extensive regional consultation service with exposure to exceptional material
- In house ancillary and special laboratory services offering hands on experience in techniques and management
- On site cytotechnologist and medical technologist training programs, allowing fellows to take advantage of instruction and teaching opportunities
- Personal desk space and private office
- Personal computer and microscope for each fellow
- Four certified pathology assistants to assist in gross and autopsy pathology education
- Comprehensive, searchable anatomic pathology information system (Co-Path) with extensive on-site block and slide archives.
- VPN access to hospital and anatomic pathology information systems
- Access to ImmunoQuery, Expert Path, and Path Primer