QUICK FACTS about the Community Engagement Department at Munroe-Meyer Institute
To create synergies between providers, agencies and stakeholders to build ongoing, permanent relationships with MMI which will result in the mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge and resources as well as partnerships and reciprocity, creating a collective vision to improve the lives of individuals with disabilities and complex health care needs.
- Department established at MMI in 2016.
- Melonie Welsh, MS, appointed department director.
- Included in the Administration section of the MMI organizational chart.
- Four personnel: Director (faculty), Administrative Associate, Writer/Editor, Media Manager.
- MMI Digital Media: website, digital building monitors and social media accounts: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
- Publications: MMI Annual Report, MMI Monthly Newsletter and special Director Messages, MMI Holiday card, MMI departmental and program brochures and flyers, Century of Caring 100 year history book.
- Promote MMI events and share staff recognition across media channels: news (television, radio, print), social media, MMI Monday internal email/external social post.
- Promote disability-related awareness/opportunities both internally and externally
- Brand, marketing and public relations support (flyers, tablecloth, swag) to MMI faculty and staff for departmental outreach events
- MMI annual events
- Caring for Champions Program: Dental, Vision and Health & Wellness (initiated 2021)
- Pet Therapy Program (initiated in 2019); provide monthly sessions for clients, faculty and staff.
- Host employee engagement activities within MMI: Candy Grams, Festive Fridays, Scarecrow contest, You’ve Been Socked, Wix Unofficially MMI Blog.
- Institute overview presentations/hands-on tours as well as new building tours.
- Liaison for boards: Hattie B. Munroe Foundation, MMI Board of Directors, MMI Guild, Scottish Rite, Community Advisory Committee
- Represent MMI: Special Olympics Health Advisory Committee, Chancellor’s Inclusivity Council, UNMC Community Collaborations Council
- Collaborate with University Foundation for Groundbreaking Ceremony and stakeholder meetings, tours, and events.
- Collaborate in programing with Westside and Millard schools and Childrens’ Hospital.
- Design Thinking seminars
Education and Research Activities
- Oversee trainees enrolled in CE’s internship
- Organize and lead the MMI Volunteer Program (initiated in 2020)
- Diversity and Inclusion Council (initiated in 2020)
- Leadership Council
- MMI Quality Council
- Provide guest lectures for MMI faculty & staff related to branding, marketing, public relations, and social media
- Advise Student Alliance for People of All Abilities (SAPA)
- Participate in UNMC Genetic Counseling Program Planning & Implementation committee.
Fundraising and Sponsorships
- Giving Tuesday campaign in coordination with NU Foundation
- MMI Supporting Board Events: MFD Walk & Roll for Disabilities, MFD Denim for Disabilities, MFD Owl Ride, MMI Guild Garden Walk, Scottish Rite Walk Rite, Scottish Rite Golf, Scottish Rite Dinner with Friends
- Light it up Blue Billboards
- Omaha Public Schools Art Month Billboard
- MMI Flamingo Flocking for Disabilities Awareness fundraiser
- United Way Campaign
- Community partner annual galas
- MMI Guild annual grant
- Coordinate grant submission with the University of Nebraska Foundation
Melonie Welsh, MS - Director, Community Engagement Department
402-559-9828 | Email Melonie Welsh