The Recreational Therapy Department at MMI offers year round internship training opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students in therapeutic recreation that fulfill the National Council on Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) requirements. Application deadlines are as follows:
- Summer students January 31st
- Fall students April 30th
- Winter students September 30th
Applicants should submit the following:
- An application cover letter indicating why advanced training in intellectual - developmental disabilities is of personal/professional interest.
- A resume that includes three professional references with current contact information (phone and e-mail).
- Supplemental materials may also be transmitted including such items as; digital portfolio, letters of recommendation, character references, etc.
Only students from Universities with affiliated training contracts with UNMC will be considered, current affiliated universities include:
- Indiana University
- University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse
- Northwest Missouri State University
Applicants from unaffiliated schools must petition their faculty advisor to seek a training contract (a process which can take up to six weeks) prior to sending an application forward.
All application materials and/or questions regarding affiliated training contracts and/or any additional questions should be e-mailed to Director of Recreation Therapy.
Review of intern applicants is a three step process.
- Application materials are reviewed and references checked and the candidate receives a rank order
- Highest ranking candidates participate in a 45 minute telephone screening interview with the RT Director
- Finalists will be invited for a full day on-site interview, this is mandatory
The finalists travel, lodging and meal expenses will be paid by the MMI Recreational Therapy department. Typically, finalists travel the day before the interview, stay overnight in a hotel and then participate in an interview from 9 to 5pm. The interview will include:
- Individual and group interviews with the full staff
- A tour of all department, campus and dorm room facilities
- Program embedding with at least one participant program
This is usually a minimum 2 day commitment on the part of the finalist depending upon travel schedules.
Successful finalists are typically notified within 24 hours of their site visit regarding an offer for placement. All RT interns receive a free on campus dorm room accommodation as well as a $2,500 cash stipend for their 15 week training period.