Before you begin
Please contact the lab when planning a project to discuss sample handling, tissue fixation and embedding to avoid any delays.
Turn Around Time
A standard turn-around time of 5 or 10 business days is assigned to orders at the time of submission; turn-around times are dependent on the complexity and size. A priority rush service of one or two day turn-around is available for non-complex routine orders and are subject to increase charges. Antibody optimization, tissue micro array construction, image analysis services or client dependent projects are not subject to assigned turn-around times. Orders are excepted Monday through Friday, 9A-3:45P on a first-come first serve basis; samples received after 3:45P will not be processed until the following business day..
- Fixed specimens, unless otherwise noted, are assumed to be at their end fixing point.
- Tissue should be no more than 2-3mm thick in 20 times the fixative volume.
- Fresh Formalin works best.
- 70% Ethanol is the preferred drop off solution, but 10% NBF or other fixatives are accepted in containers properly labeled with all hazards and cautions.
- Any hazardous samples, biohazard, radiation, etc. must be pre-approved before drop off.
- Please contact core personnel for any special embedding or tissue orientation request.
- Please supply all samples in individual cassettes with proper labeling that matches paperwork; a typed specimen ID list is required
- Use pencil or solvent resistant marking pen (Surgipath01880).
- Use of a simple coding system containing no more than 8 characters is recommended.
- Patient names are NEVER accepted.
Sample Drop Off
Orders are excepted Monday through Friday, 9A-3:45P; orders received after 3:45P may be processed the following business day. Samples must be accompanied with a completed order form; a cost center is required at the time of submission, any order without a cost center will not be processed. Specimen submission containers are available free of charge and can be picked-up Monday-Friday, 9A-4P.
User will be notified via email or phone when orders are ready for pickup.
Boxes for slides are available for purchase.
Orders may be picked up 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Monday - Friday in DRC1 1052.
For more information regarding TSF policies, please see core personnel.