We are Nebraska Medicine and UNMC
Our mission is to lead the world in transforming lives to create a healthy future for all individuals and communities through premier educational programs, innovative research and extraordinary patient care.
The research outlook:
- Nearly 700 research projects are underway at UNMC today, in bench science labs, translational research centers and clinical trials.
- UNMC’s research funding continues to grow with over 66% growth since the beginning of the national financial crisis in 2008. This growth has resulted in the creation of more than 3,200 highly skilled jobs in the state.
- 190 Full-Time Investigators
- 756 Graduate Students and 193 Post-Doctoral Research Associates contribute to a vibrant research community.
- The twin Durham Research Center towers are home to a combined total of 215 labs and more than 550,000 square feet of space dedicated to research
A transformational project for all Nebraskans...
It all starts with a vision. In this case, a multidisciplinary, singularly focused cancer center – with a research tower, inpatient cancer and outpatient cancer areas. The new $323 million Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center, the largest project ever on campus, was named in recognition of a gift from Pamela Buffett, through her foundation, the Rebecca Susan Buffett Foundation. Pamela’s husband, Fred “Fritz” Buffett, died in 1997 after fighting kidney cancer.
The Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center includes:
- A 10-story, 98-laboratory research tower named the Suzanne and Walter Scott Cancer Research Tower;
- A seven-story, 108-bed inpatient treatment center named the C.L. Werner Cancer Hospital; and
- A multidisciplinary outpatient center.
The project will create thousands of jobs citywide in construction and other industries. In addition, approximately 1,200 jobs will be needed at the medical center – each with an average salary of approximately $70,000. In total, the project will provide 4,657 new jobs to the metro area, infusing $537 million annually into the economy on an on-going basis.