- Name: Kristin Rooney, M.D.
- Hometown: Kingwood, Texas
- New title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor and urogynecologist at the Olson Center for Women's Health
As a physician, I feel as though it is my responsibility to educate women on the issues they are experiencing with their bodies and provide them options for treatment. Since the conditions that I treat are rarely, if ever, life-threatening, I like to work collaboratively with patients and allow them to choose treatment options that they feel will work best for them given their lifestyle and expectations.
How I fell in love with urogynecology:
I first experienced the field of urogynecology in residency. The urogynecologists I trained under are some of the best in the country. In regards to surgical approaches to pelvic organ prolapse, I loved the fact that I could see almost instantaneous results right in the operating room. I also enjoy the fact that I get to contribute to a woman's quality of life -- women are so appreciative of the services we can provide.
- Medical Degree -- Rush Medical College, Rush University, Chicago
- Ob/Gyn Residency -- Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Ill.
- Urogyn Fellowship -- Women's Continence Center of Greater Rochester, Rochester, N.Y.
- American Urogynecologic Society
Three things people may not know about me:
- I enjoy photographing wildlife in my backyard.
- I love laying tile. In my first project, I cut and laid 18-inch travertine tile on the diagonal in a kitchen I remodeled.
- In high school, I was in 4H/FFA and raised three pigs, two lambs, chickens, a steer and a dairy heifer.