The TravelSmart program provides a number of benefits to faculty, staff and students who want to (or are currently) traveling to/from the 42nd and Dewey campus by biking, carpooling, taking the bus or walking.
See a video about the program here.
"We're excited to bring TravelSmart to the medical center campus," said Melanie Stewart, TravelSmart implementation team coordinator. "It's important to know that the program can be used daily, but if that's not possible, you can still participate and see benefits."
Forums on Wednesday will provide more details, as will UNMC Today, Nebraska Now and the website.
"We encourage everyone to consider participating as there are a number of options and perks," Stewart said. "Even so, we know this may not work for everyone."
The program is intended to provide staff and students with cost-effective options for traveling to and from campus, promote active modes of travel and healthier lifestyles, reduce vehicle emissions and pollution and reduce parking pressure and traffic congestion on campus.
Some of the key program perks include the following:
- Free bus pass, free carpool pass and free indoor/secure bike storage (and access to locker & shower facilities).
- Free access to a service that helps find carpool partners.
- Free ride home when unforeseen emergencies occur on the days active transportation is used.
- Opportunity to cancel an existing parking permit or keep it and continue paying the ongoing parking fee.
- If a parking permit is canceled, participants have a 3-month, risk-free trial period in which they can request the permit back for their same parking lot.
- For participants that cancel their parking permits, they will also have access to $3 daily-rate flexible parking on the days they need to drive alone in their vehicles (three convenient parking areas across campus).
To learn more, employees should attend one of two forums on Wednesday, June 3. The forums will be at noon in lower Storz Pavilion at Clarkson Tower (this will be live streamed and archived) and at 11 p.m. in the Private Dining Rooms in the University Tower.
Online parking renewal is available through late June. Employees can renew their parking and sign up for TravelSmart via the web, by visiting the Employee Services website.
Fabulous program! I've been walking (in the Beta group) for two weeks. Today was my first day having to drive, and the ParkOmaha app for single-day parking is super easy to use. Going to ride my new bike tomorrow, and if it rains on Wednesday, I'll ride the bus. SO many options. :)
Tried on the first day, love it!