- Name: Meenakshi (Minnie) Vishwanath
- Hometown: Bangalore, India
- Title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor, UNMC College of Dentistry, Department of Growth and Development, Orthodontic Section
Research and Professional interests:
My primary area of interest is in the field of orthodontic biomechanics. It combines my interest in physics and orthodontics and has direct clinical implications. I also am passionate about researching various aspects of impacted canines and clinical challenges involving their treatment. Other major interests are orthognathic surgeries, both conventional and involving surgery first approaches, as well as interdisciplinary care of patients with cleft lip and cleft palate.
How I fell in love with my profession:
When I think of 'my profession at UNMC' there are two aspects to it -- orthodontics and teaching, and I love them both. Growing up in a family of academicians, the value of being a lifelong learner was instilled in me early on. This was followed by the realization that teaching is one of the best forms of learning and thus the natural progression into the academic world. It was a serendipitous event that led to orthodontics choosing me, and I am grateful to be part of this wonderful profession. I enjoy transforming smiles: sometimes confined to straightening a few crooked teeth and sometimes entire faces; sometimes those of children and sometimes those of adults who have waited for it all their lives. The gratification that comes from being a part of their lives and helping them make this journey into developing confident smiles is unparalleled.
- B.D.S., Pondicherry University, India
- M.D.S., (orthodontics) S.D.M. Dharwad, RGUHS, India
- M.Dent.Sc., (orthodontics) School of Dental Medicine, UConn Health Center, Farmington, Conn.
- American Association of Orthodontists
- International Association for Dental Research
- Membership in Orthodontics Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
Three things people may not know about me:
- I love reading biographies and Wikipedia.
- I am an animal lover and ardent vegetarian.
- I am a yoga enthusiast.
Welcome to UNMC, Minnie!