Dr. Saksena is a prosthodontist with more than 15 years of experience in higher education. She previously served as an associate professor and director of pre-doctoral clinical education at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine.
- Name: Yun Saksena, D.M.D.
- Hometown: Melbourne, Australia
- Title and department at UNMC: Associate dean for education and associate professor, UNMC College of Dentistry, Department of Adult Restorative Dentistry
- Educational research (student learning, teaching, classroom and clinic dynamics), student life and admissions.
- How to help each student fulfill their potential and how we can all become better teachers and learners.
How I fell in love with prosthodontics:
I saw people who had been missing teeth or had deformities being able to chew, talk, smile and laugh again as a result of prosthodontic treatment. These things many of us take for granted gave them confidence and more opportunities. I loved the artistry, creativity and attention to detail necessary. The need to see the big picture, to mastermind and collaborate with other specialists, and to see things come together was exciting and fulfilling.
- B.D.Sc., The University of Melbourne, School of Dental Science, Melbourne, Australia, 1993
- Certificate, Combined Prosthodontics, Harvard University, School of Dental Medicine, Boston, 1998
- M.M.Sc., Oral Biology, Harvard University, School of Dental Medicine, Boston, 1998
- D.M.D., Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Boston, 2000
- American Dental Education Association
- American Dental Association
Three things people may not know about me:
- I play the double bass. My favourite performances include Beethoven's "Symphony No. 9," Handel's "Messiah", Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker" ballet, Cohan's musical "George M!" and Bizet's musical "Carmen."
- I race bikes. I competed in the 2017 USA Cyclocross National Championships (finished 20th in my age group), and have raced criteriums, road and track.
- I bake cakes and cupcakes and have done custom orders in whatever flavours people wanted, decorated however they liked. My largest order was for more than 200 people.