The 500-question exam, covered in 1 1/2 days, is required of the nation's senior dental students. It tests the student's knowledge and application of dentistry skills, as well as business management, public health issues and safety. All of the students also passed Part I of the exam taken after their freshman year. Part I covered basic sciences of dentistry. Both exams are required in order to get a dentistry license.
John Reinhardt, D.D.S., dean of the UNMC College of Dentistry, said it is somewhat unusual for every student in a dental class to pass the exam the first time. "This is good news and reflects the quality of our students and faculty," he said.
In the past, UNMC students have averaged a 97-percent passing rate on the national board tests, said Myron Pudwill, D.D.S., assistant dean for student affairs, UNMC College of Dentistry. The national average of students in the 55 dental schools in the United States is about 87 percent.
"Passing the exam shows the students' strengths in clinical performance. They are clinically competent to practice," Dr. Pudwill said. "This is a tribute to our students who are energetic, self-disciplined, and show compassion and interest in their patients."
Grade-point-averages of dentistry students entering the college typically rank among the top five dental schools in the U.S.
The students will take one more test after they graduate in May -- a licensure examination -- which will test their clinical ability.
Following is a list of senior dental students with their home towns:
- AURORA -- Timothy J. Jones
- BENNINGTON -- Nik E. Sather
- CREIGHTON -- Ryan M. Shaffer
- FALLS CITY -- Laura E. Rothe
- GERING -- Mark A. Schlothauer
- GRAND ISLAND -- LaMont L. Gillham and Jay C. McConnell
- HASTINGS -- Ann M. Heckman
- KEARNEY -- Ryan A. Foote
- KENESAW -- Sean M. Daly
- LEXINGTON -- David J. Maloley
- LINCOLN -- Karen M. Bober, Martha G. Brackett, Colin S. Gibson and Michael F. Iseman
- NORFOLK -- Corey S. Karmazin
- OMAHA -- Gregory M. Beals, Kathryn A. Billerbeck, Timothy R. Garofolo, Zachary A. Graham, Corey K. Karimjee, Jason J. Knag, Mark A. Nielsen, Carolyn L. Taggart, Michael R. Thylin and Stephanie A. Vondrak
- LEXINGTON -- Jason J. Carpenter
- SHELBY -- Melanie M. Kroft
- STERLING -- Steven E. Weber
- HAYS, KAN. -- Summer M. Smith
- HOXIE, KAN. -- Jeff L. Krannawitter
- TONGANOXIE, KAN. -- Wylie L. Bell
- ROCHESTER, MINN. -- Mark E. Keller
- CASCADE, MONT. -- Nathan L. Ahlers
- FARGO, N.D. -- Craig P. Vacek
- ABERDEEN, S.D. -- Steven J. Jacobs and David R. Mack
- PIERRE, S.D. -- Jon K. Schaack
- SISSETON, S.D. -- Amber L. Marohl
- WATERTOWN, S.D. -- Troy L. Keyes
- RICHLAND, WASH. -- Trevor D. Larson
- LANDER, WYO. -- Andrew N. Young
- NEWCASTLE, WYO. -- Brian N. Hokanson