- Name: Arun Swaminathan, M.B.B.S.
- Hometown: Mumbai, India . . . now Omaha
- Title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor, UNMC Department of Neurological Sciences
- Epilepsy surgery
- ICU EEG
- Neuropsychological aspects of epilepsy
How I fell in love with epilepsy treatment:
I spent a great deal of time learning and trying to understand the intricate aspects of epilepsy and treatments that were available for it. There is such a large variety of treatments, including surgery, experimental medications and computer-based devices, that I was really intrigued by them. All this of course was in addition to the complicated and challenging patients who definitely needed medical care and close supervision. All of these things combined to give me an undying love for the field of epilepsy.
- M.B.B.S., Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Sion, India
- Residency, neurology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, Ky.
- Fellowship, clinical neurophysiology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Three things people may not know about me:
- I'm a karate black belt.
- I've jumped off a plane.
- I'm the reigning Harry Potter quiz champion at my medical school.