- Name: Srinivas Rao Vunnam, M.B.B.S.
- Hometown: Guntur, India
- Title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor, UNMC Department of Internal Medicine-General Medicine
- Hospital medicine
- Inpatient medicine
- Quality improvement
- Patient safety
How I fell in love with medicine:
My interest in medicine started when I was in eighth grade and my elder brother received his acceptance into medical school. I was fascinated with the experiences my brother shared with me, such as anatomy dissection, where they explored the human body. My desire grew further when my brother told me about his rotations and how patients responded to treatment. I personally had witnessed several deaths in our village due to treatable causes such as organo-phosphorus poisoning, snake bites, heart attacks, etc. This motivated me to enter a profession where I could make a difference in other people's lives. I like internal medicine because of the opportunity to take care of the patient with a wide variety of medical problems and to be the leader of the medical team for my patient. I find practicing academic medicine rewarding and gratifying.
- M.B.B.S., G.S.L Medical College, Rajahmundry, India
- Residency, internal medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, McKeesport, Pa.
- American College of Physicians
- American College of Cardiology
Three things people may not know about me:
- I play ping-pong.
- I run marathons.
- I like photography.
Srinivas, welcome to UNMC. Nice to know you and learn that you are from my hometown that's 10,000 miles away