These masks are fitted, air-filtering respirators (not surgical masks) and have been approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). N-95 respirators can offer particulate protection against airborne and/or aerosolized diseases. Reusable respirators can offer particulate and chemical/gas protection. Please ask your manager/supervisor if you are unsure. Surgical masks and powered air purifying respirators (PAPR) do not require fit testing.
Annual testing required
Annual fit testing for respirator masks is an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirement for any employee whose job description indicates a potential for exposure to airborne and/or aerosolized diseases. Fit testing and medical clearance is required annually before using a respirator, and/or if there is a change in your physical appearance that may affect the fit of your mask, e.g., large weight gain or loss, major dental work, facial surgery (that alters the shape of your face) or scarring in the area of the seal.
Testing dates and locations will be:
- Feb. 18: Nebraska Medical Center, LRC 1 (basement of Storz Pavilion)
- Feb. 19-22: Nebraska Medical Center, B8109 (located inside of the pager office, B8111- basement level of Clarkson Tower)
- Feb. 25-26: Nebraska Medical Center, B8019 (located inside of the pager office, B8111 - basement level of Clarkson Tower)
- Feb. 27-28: Bellevue Medical Center, Conference Room D
- March 1: Grand Island, Internal Medical Associates
Please register as soon as possible. To register, log in to Apollo, select "Search for Trainings" and type in "fit testing." Additional dates will be available in January.
Other important information:
- Complete and take the following forms with you to your appointment:
- 3M 1870+ (N-95) respirators will be available for fit testing at these sessions. If you need a different model/style, please bring one with you to your appointment.
- If you also need a reusable respirator (half or full-face, negative pressure), you need to reserve an appointment time for each mask AND contact Employee Health to arrange for the use of an adaptor. Take your reusable mask(s) with you to your appointment.
- Your appointment will take approximately 20 minutes (for one fit test).
- Plan to arrive 5 to 10 minutes before your appointment; if you are late, you may be asked to reschedule. If you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, please log into Apollo to cancel. The next person on the waiting list will be notified of the open appointment time.
- Males must be clean-shaven where the respirator is intended to seal on the face. If you have facial hair, you cannot be fit tested and should not schedule an appointment.
- Pregnant women need to schedule a fit test appointment at the Employee Health Clinic.
- For more information regarding fit testing and what to expect at your appointment, please visit the employee health fit testing share point page.
The Employee Health Clinic will still offer appointments for fit testing new employees, job changes, or other special circumstances. Please contact the Employee Health Clinic at 402-552-3563 to schedule these appointments.